cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full system restore needs more space than original

roman_sawycky
Level 2
a system crashed and needed to be restored from tape. prior to the crash the C: was partitioned at 2GB with apx. 1.8GB used or 90%. during the restore, veritas reported insufficient disk space onto the newly created 2GB partition. we re-did this again only this time into a 3GB partition. the restore was fine and the system came back up. the c: now is at 3GB with apx. 2.3GB used. how did i go from 1.8GB used to 2.3GB? does that mean all systems nearing capacity can't be restored into their original partition sizes?

i'd like to hear what others have experienced. kindly post and copy romans@usgi.com.
3 REPLIES 3

Joe_Schmeier
Level 3
I've had a similar thing happen to me. My situation was that the original server's c drive was compressed and the new server wasn't.

roman_sawycky
Level 2
Ouch! sorry to here about your predicament. while your situation can be expained, i'm still searching for the reason my disk filled up.

thanks for your post
Roman

Chaitanya_Khurj
Level 6
Hello Roman,

Was this a manual restore or with the IDR option ?

What kind of compression had been used during backups ? Had you selected the overwrite existing files option in the general tab in the Restore Window ?

Thankyou for answering these questions.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.