Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GRT Restore from HP StoreOnce Catalyst Store - Backup Exec 2012

moar1986
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hello,

we are using Backup Exec 2012 with a HP StoreOnce (VSA) Catalyst Store as backup target. We are backing up virtual machines (VMWare) using the GRT option.

When we try to restore a single file, Backup Exec starts staging the entire VM instead of restoring the file directly like it does when restoring from a Backup2Disk folder. It also starts staging when we try to restore an Exchange item from a remote agent backup.

It seems that the Catalyst Store has the same behavior like a tape drive.

Is this a normal behavior?

Regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Staging is required if the restore is done from tape or a disk storage device which is non-NTFS. And so, I believe this behavior is expected from restoring from HP StoreOnce.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

VJware
Level 6

Staging is required if the restore is done from tape or a disk storage device which is non-NTFS. And so, I believe this behavior is expected from restoring from HP StoreOnce.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...is your StoreOnce configured as your dedupe store? If so, then this is expected.

If configured as a VTL, then it is expected as it emulates a tape drive.

Thanks!

moar1986
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Thanks for your quick response!

Yes my StoreOnce is configured as a dedupe store. So it allways needs to do staging right?

Is this also the same with Backup Exec 2014? What about NetBackup?

Since my fileserver has 2 TB its not possible for me to do staging...

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...it might, you'd have to ask that in the NBU forum. Either way, when restoring from the dedupe folder using BE it will stage to C:\Temp by default and you need as much free disk space as your database is large. Otherwise move it to a drive with enough disk space.

Thanks!

VJware
Level 6

I believe NBU 7.1 onwards does not require staging atleast for GRT from VM restores, though as CraigV mentioned earlier, best to check with the NBU folks.

moar1986
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Ok thank you!