cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GRT Restore from Tape

rsmccall
Level 5
BackupExec 11D on Windows Server 2003 STD R2 - Backup to tape

The backups of my exchange server are completing successfully and so I have been testing the restore of an individual email but it keeps failing and saying there isn't enough free space.  There wasn't enough space on the local hard drive so I created a 150 GB partition on my Openfiler box and am using Microsoft iSCSI Initiator to map the LUN to that 150 GB of free space so that the BackupExec server thinks it as a local hard drive.  I formated it as a basic NTFS disk and marked it as active.  I then changed the exchange staging area to that "local drive" and it is still failing when trying to run the restore.  

The exchange database size is around 120 GB (priv1.edb + priv1.stm).

Does anyone know if this setup is acceptable or if I'm out of luck and will be forced into purchasing and installing a new HDD?

Thanks for your reply.

Ryan
Capture.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Dev_T
Level 6

Hello,

Granular restore from tape, while supported, requires a two-stage restore and the Staging area must be a LOCAL Partition.

You can try:

1  : Open Backup Exec
2  : Select ‘Tools’
3  : Select ‘Options’
4  : On the left side under ‘Job Defaults’ select ‘Restore’
5  : On the right side, on the bottom where it says “Path on media server for staging temporary restore data when restoring individual items from tape” – Change the default path to another partition with larger disk space.
6  : Then Click on ‘Microsoft Exchange’ under Job Defaults  on the left
7  : In the right, under ‘Microsoft Exchange 2000 and later’ change the temporary location for log and patch files to your new temp location.
8  : Click OK

Please check this link, will be helpful
http://www.rm.com/Support/TechnicalArticle.asp?cref=TEC1226691

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Dev_T
Level 6

Hello,

Granular restore from tape, while supported, requires a two-stage restore and the Staging area must be a LOCAL Partition.

You can try:

1  : Open Backup Exec
2  : Select ‘Tools’
3  : Select ‘Options’
4  : On the left side under ‘Job Defaults’ select ‘Restore’
5  : On the right side, on the bottom where it says “Path on media server for staging temporary restore data when restoring individual items from tape” – Change the default path to another partition with larger disk space.
6  : Then Click on ‘Microsoft Exchange’ under Job Defaults  on the left
7  : In the right, under ‘Microsoft Exchange 2000 and later’ change the temporary location for log and patch files to your new temp location.
8  : Click OK

Please check this link, will be helpful
http://www.rm.com/Support/TechnicalArticle.asp?cref=TEC1226691

rsmccall
Level 5
Steps 4 & 5 did the trick.  I had only done steps 6 & 7 prior to me opening this discussion.  The restore is now running.  Thank you for your quick reply!! 

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi,

I wrote this article a few months ago based on the way I restore Exchange data.
Try it; it works very well for me and since I switched to the method described, I haven't had issues restoring. 

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/restoring-exchange-or-individual-mailboxesitems-using-backup-exec-howto

Laters!

rsmccall
Level 5
Very well done.  I appreciate your post!