cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GRT fails on VHDX - Windows 2012

CrispyNRG
Level 2

Hello All,

I have a Windows 2012 server that has a VHDX that is 5.2TB in size, when the back completes I see the following warning in regards to the backup: Virtual machine volume is in a format that is not supported by this version of the Windows Operating System and therefore is not supported by Granular Recovery Technology (GRT).  Granular restores cannot be performed for this volume.

Problem is, I really need to be able to use GRT as this is our file server and I don't want to have to restore the whole VHDX to restore a single file.

I took a look at this article: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH210102 and according to this I should not have a problem.

Any suggestion or solutions would be greatly appericated.

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6

lmosla
Level 6

Hi

do you have a license for the hyper v agent entered in Backup Exec with the Agent for Windows installed on the virtual machine?

CrispyNRG
Level 2

Hello Imosla,

Yes we have the license for Hyper-V agent entered in Backup Exec.

The VM does not have the agent installed, once I install the agent on the VM should I run a full backup again or let the incremental backups run?

Thanks

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You must run a full backup.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

What is the OS of the machine on which you have loaded BE?

CrispyNRG
Level 2

Hi PKH,

BE is installed on a Windows 2012 R2 server. The machine I am trying to backup is a Windows 2012 server.

Thanks

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Try again after you have installed the remote agent in the VM