cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GRT restore doesn't work from NAS

Dude16
Level 4

I am running two "backup to disk" backup jobs a week stagered.  One is to a local USB external drive and one is to a share on a NAS (ReadyNAS 3100). Backups are identical except for the device media target. My backups are 5 Hyper-V machines. Agents are installed on all machines.

When it comes to restoring, I can restore the full machines and GRT from the USB source, however from the NAS I can only restore the full machine, not GRT. Why?

Here are the errors I get from the job targeted at the NAS:

Backup- VRTSRV::\\Srv2950a.mydomain.com\Hyper-V?Virtual?Machine\DevV-79-57344-38721 - Failed to mount one or more virtual disk images:
Error mounting disk(s): UNKNOWN_ERROR (0xe00084af).

Backup- VRTSRV::\\Srv2950a.mydomain.com\Hyper-V?Virtual?Machine\WebSrvV-79-57344-38721 - Failed to mount one or more virtual disk images:

Backup- VRTSRV::\\Srv2950a.mydomain.com\Hyper-V?Virtual?Machine\DC1V-79-57344-38730 - Backup Exec failed to authenticate with virtual machine 'DC1' and was unable to collect the necessary metadata to restore individual application items. You cannot perform GRT-enabled restores of application data from this backup.
V-79-57344-38721 - Failed to mount one or more virtual disk images:

Backup- VRTSRV::\\Srv2950b.mydomain.com\Hyper-V?Virtual?Machine\DC2V-79-57344-38730 - Backup Exec failed to authenticate with virtual machine 'DC2' and was unable to collect the necessary metadata to restore individual application items. You cannot perform GRT-enabled restores of application data from this backup.
V-79-57344-38721 - Failed to mount one or more virtual disk images:

Backup- VRTSRV::\\Srv2950b.mydomain.com\Hyper-V?Virtual?Machine\RDSSrvV-79-57344-38721 - Failed to mount one or more virtual disk images:

And the errors I get from the job targeted at the USB:

Backup- VRTSRV::\\Srv2950a.mydomain.com\Hyper-V?Virtual?Machine\DC1V-79-57344-38730 - Backup Exec failed to authenticate with virtual machine 'DC1' and was unable to collect the necessary metadata to restore individual application items. You cannot perform GRT-enabled restores of application data from this backup.

Backup- VRTSRV::\\Srv2950b.mydomain.com\Hyper-V?Virtual?Machine\DC2V-79-57344-38730 - Backup Exec failed to authenticate with virtual machine 'DC2' and was unable to collect the necessary metadata to restore individual application items. You cannot perform GRT-enabled restores of application data from this backup.

It's odd that the errors from the USB backup claims that I can not do GRT restores, when I have done them and they work great.
On the NAS side I can not understand why it fails to mount the virtual disk images. Why would the target media affect the mounting. Remember that the backups are configured identically except for the device media target.  And if they failed to mount how is it that I can do a full restore?

These errors make no sense to me.
6 REPLIES 6

teiva-boy
Level 6

Please run the b2dtest.exe file to verify that BE can use your particular devices for B2D and GRT.

Not all NAS devices are created equal!

Dude16
Level 4

Where can I find the b2dtest.exe?

The NAS I am having problems with is a Netgear ReadyNAS 3100 which is an enterprise storage unit while my external USB on which I have no problems with was a cheep consumer part from the bargain bin costing a 1/30th of the NAS.

teiva-boy
Level 6

you can find it in the support site, and I think it may even be in the installed directory of BE.

Note, all these low-end NAS devices are running typically linux and a flavor of SAMBA.  SAMBA is an interesting creature that is TRYING to emulate CIFS sharing as best it can.  Often, you need to patch your NAS with with whatever NetGear offers, or if the B2Dtest fails for GRT, you'll just have to use an iSCSI LUN, or forgo GRT on that B2D location altogether.

More than likely iSCSI with NTFS will work.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

How on earth does that TechNote apply?

He didn't say the  backups were failiing, or even that restores were failing

He said he couldn't do GRT Restores