cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BEX 12.5 job starts but backup is delayed

diahelpdesk
Level 3

We are currently using Backup Exec 12.5 (SP4) for Windows. Our daily backups are set to start at 10pm. When I checked the backup this morning I noticed that the job was still verifying which is unusual as it is normally finished by then. The backup job did "start" at 10pm as scheduled but the actual backup of the first server did not start until 1:41 AM. Can anyone explain why this might be? There were no errors reported. Note: we backup to tape.

You can see in the Job History it says..

Job Summary Information: Job started : Tuesday, 21 September 2010 10:00:04 PM

but then if you check the first backup it says...

Set Detail Information - Backup \\ServerName\C: Start time : Wednesday, 22 September 2010 1:41:51 AM

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Larry_Fine
Level 6
   VIP   

Any chance that media was not available for overwrite until 1:41 AM?  the job could have been popping alerts "please import overwritable media" between 10 PM and 1:41 AM.  Was the 10 PM job an append or an overwrite?

Any chance there was a job still running from yesterday and the drive was in use until 1:41 AM?

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Is there any other backup job running at the same time ? as it can be that there is another backup job writing to your Tape device and this job is in a queued state till the other job completes...

Also check for the following option --Tool--Option==Preferences--Display progress indicator

If this option is selected the job is stuck in preprocessing state for a long time so youcan uncheck this .

diahelpdesk
Level 3

There is another job which runs 5 minutes after the first job HOWEVER we have a DELL tape library which has dual heads so we can run 2 backup jobs at the same time so this is not the issue.

I have unticked the "Display progress indicators for backup jobs..." option as suggested and I'll monitor the situation.

Thanks.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

If you have two drives in your Librry make sure you have an Extra Library expansion Option for the 2nd tape Drive ..

Dev_T
Level 6

Are you facing issues with both the jobs or one job got completed successfully?

Mahesh_Roja
Level 6

Check any error or warning during that time in event logs both in application and System?

If anything found post the screen shot

Larry_Fine
Level 6
   VIP   

Any chance that media was not available for overwrite until 1:41 AM?  the job could have been popping alerts "please import overwritable media" between 10 PM and 1:41 AM.  Was the 10 PM job an append or an overwrite?

Any chance there was a job still running from yesterday and the drive was in use until 1:41 AM?

diahelpdesk
Level 3

yes we have LEO for 2nd drive. this is not the issue. it has been working fine for a long time.

diahelpdesk
Level 3

Only one job.

diahelpdesk
Level 3

I think you might be on the money there. I found this in the application event log.

Backup Exec Alert: Library Insert
(Server: "SVR-BACKUP") (Job: "Tuesday Backup #1") Please insert overwritable media into the robotic library using the import command.

The previous week tuesday backup #1 took unusually long time for reasons I will not go in to. This must have altered the normal overwrite proctection date.

Thanks all.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The OPP is calculated from the end, not the start, of the job that does the last write to the tape.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Yeah -

For media used the same night every week, I always use an OPP of 6 days, not 7, just in case the job finishes after 2400 for some reason

Similarly for weeklies used on 1st (2nd, 3rd, 4th) Friday I use 27 days (to account for February)