cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gather BE license information on Multiple BE Servers with Multiple Versions

pxtian
Level 4

Hi,

In our infra, we have about 14 Backup Exec Servers. The versions are 10d, 11d, 2010 R2, 2012, and 2014. I need to gather the current licensing information on all these machines. Is there an efficient way of doing this from a centralized console that can generate a unified report as well? Just trying to check if there is an alternative to going into each machine one by one and manually getting the license info. Thanks in advance.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

This can be best answered by the licensing team & their contact info can be found @ http://www.symantec.com/support/assistance_care.jsp

View solution in original post

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...your other bets are as follows:

1. Go to the Partnernet site and logon there. Enter in your customer number (usually Mxxxxxxxx) and see what licenses are assigned to that number. Then try tally those against what you have in besernum.xml per server.

2. Check besernum.xml per server, and make a note of the number of licenses & serial numbers there. Tally this against the number of servers being backed up and the applications involved (ie. Exchange).

However, as suggested, the licensing team is probably your best bet here.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

CraigV

Hi,

You can try copying besernum.xml from each server in question and checking the licensing information there.

Otherwise no other way to do so from a central location.

Thanks!

pxtian
Level 4

Hi Craigv,

Thanks for the reply? Where can I find that file? Also, I am running a scan right now from a BE 2010 server. I am not sure if this will yield results since I have not used it before. 

VJware
Level 6

Location of the license file - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH87335

And BELAT will not accurately indicate the licenses which are installed since it retrieves info from the BE database and is not synced with the licensing portal. Also, it cannot correctly determine the quantity of the servers covered by a license.

pxtian
Level 4

Hi All,

Thanks for all the replies so far. I have seen the besernum file and it seems to contain only serial numbers. What I would want to find out is, for example,

1) the quantity of agents that can be installed for a license on a server

2) the number of tape drives allowed by the license

etc...

VJware
Level 6

This can be best answered by the licensing team & their contact info can be found @ http://www.symantec.com/support/assistance_care.jsp

CraigV

...your other bets are as follows:

1. Go to the Partnernet site and logon there. Enter in your customer number (usually Mxxxxxxxx) and see what licenses are assigned to that number. Then try tally those against what you have in besernum.xml per server.

2. Check besernum.xml per server, and make a note of the number of licenses & serial numbers there. Tally this against the number of servers being backed up and the applications involved (ie. Exchange).

However, as suggested, the licensing team is probably your best bet here.

Thanks!

pxtian
Level 4

Sorry for the late update. I have managed to gather the information needed using a combination of both your suggestions. Thanks.