cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

queued duplicate jobs

JJ
Level 4

Greetings,

As a part of my backup policy I have a duplicate to tape job to make duplicates of my weekly backup. At one point this weekly backup failed due to insufficient tape space (it happened to be a massive backup) so I re-ran the duplicate job from the job history window to a new empty tape. That worked however each week after that, when the duplicate job runs it still tries to duplicate that failed job and doesnt duplicate the most recent one (which it should be doing). Therefore for the last few weeks I have had to cancel the duplicate job and manually duplicate the current weekly backup to tape. 

Please can anyone advise me on how to get around this problem so its only duplicating the most recent backup. 

Thanks

James

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

You seem to have stated that you are running 2010

If yes right click the failed job in the job history and select edit selection list

In the selection list go to detaisl view (text list) and delete any lines that seem to indicate a catalog is missing (in reality you probaly want to delet eall but the last valid one)

OK/Apply these changes and then right click the job and use run now - let that running job finish (which should be sucessful)

Then going forwards it should be OK

Iif this does not work you will have to delete the duplicate jobs and recreate them (Delete jobs created by policy then recreat jobs cerated by policy for that selection)

BTW BE 2014 should later shoud handle this sort of issue in a better way (as it does not try to duplicate sets that have already been removed from disk) and also has options to duplicate last full only (which 2010 did not have) giving more flexibility

2010 always duplicates any sets that had originally needed duplication but had not yet been marked as duplicated. (Avoid 2012 as this removed the options to edit selection lists of failed duplicates and also did not have the other advances that 2014 now has in this area.)

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Colin_Weaver

You seem to have stated that you are running 2010

If yes right click the failed job in the job history and select edit selection list

In the selection list go to detaisl view (text list) and delete any lines that seem to indicate a catalog is missing (in reality you probaly want to delet eall but the last valid one)

OK/Apply these changes and then right click the job and use run now - let that running job finish (which should be sucessful)

Then going forwards it should be OK

Iif this does not work you will have to delete the duplicate jobs and recreate them (Delete jobs created by policy then recreat jobs cerated by policy for that selection)

BTW BE 2014 should later shoud handle this sort of issue in a better way (as it does not try to duplicate sets that have already been removed from disk) and also has options to duplicate last full only (which 2010 did not have) giving more flexibility

2010 always duplicates any sets that had originally needed duplication but had not yet been marked as duplicated. (Avoid 2012 as this removed the options to edit selection lists of failed duplicates and also did not have the other advances that 2014 now has in this area.)

Colin_Weaver

I managed to find the tech article that discuss some of what I try to describe above

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH43264

Note: Take a look at Workaround 2 in this article.

JJ
Level 4

Thanks for your reply Colin. 

Its not failing per se, I'm having to cancel the duplication because its trying to duplicate a 2tb backup that was done 3 weeks ago. I think I did change the duplication policy and reselected the weekly backup, however i was worried that if i deleted it, it would try and re-duplicate everything since the last full backup since its all linked via policy. Would this be the case?

JJ
Level 4

Thanks Colin, becuase I'd manually duplicated them I deleted the failed job log (stupid I know) I therefore had to delete the policy job and recreate it in the policy which seems to have done the trick. If it happens again I'll go through the workarounds first before I do anything manualy.

Mann thanks