cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Question about using job templates.

Dave_C
Level 4
Could somebody please answer my question...I'm currently working on the idea of using templates for my jobs, however before creating any of these templates I have a few questions of which I'd like answering.

I've currently got four jobs which run everynight mon-fri at 21:00, however I've modified these jobs (merged) so that it's the same job, however the schedule is different. i.e. one runs on Monday and one runs on tue etc.. so I have 20 jobs on my job monitor list...however they came from four normal jobs of which I've merged.

My question is...If I create a job template.
And I modify this job, template, to run on different days, with the selection saying the same....if I wanted to exclude certain files from the backup on a Wednesday, would I modify the Wednesday job, or the template..?
3 REPLIES 3

padmaja_rajopad
Level 6
Hi,

Could you explain- "however I've modified these jobs (merged) so that it's the same job, however the schedule is different. i.e. one runs on Monday and one runs on tue etc.. so I have 20 jobs on my job monitor list...however they came from four normal jobs of which I've merged"

Are you using policies...?

would I modify the Wednesday job, or the template..? - If you need to edit the selections just for the "Wednesday" job then you need to create a different job for Wednesday beacuse the edited selection list when connected to a template will be used by other jobs as well...

Please revert if further clarification is needed...

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to the �answered questions� pool.

Dave_C
Level 4
Ok I thought this might happen. I'll try to explain this clearly.

Step one I create a job called example: Exchange Job 1

Step two I then select the new job tab, then press load selection from existing list, then select exchange job 1, and select Merge. then rename the job properties in the general tab to example Exchange Job 2 Tuesday, then do the same for Wed, Thur, Fri etc..The reason I do this is because. I have both retention, and every job has it's own media set...It's like having a double protection.

So my question is...If I changed something from the selection on Exchange Job 1, would it also change the selection from the Tue, Wed, Thur job or not...What I'm aiming for is to be able to create a job, (template) which does not show up in the job monitor list. for example a standard Exchange job, which I can select from and amend accordingly....is this possible. ?

Ashutosh_Tamhan
Level 6
Hello,

If I changed something from the selection on Exchange Job 1, would it also change the selection from the Tue, Wed, Thur job or not...

Yes it would.

What I'm aiming for is to be able to create a job, (template) which does not show up in the job monitor list. for example a standard Exchange job, which I can select from and amend accordingly....is this possible. ?

Well you can have one template which has the settings regarding when+where+how the backup is to be done and a selection list basically just has the info about which need to be backed up. So a selection is all about WHAT all is to be backed up!

You can combine a template + selection lists any number of times. Remember that the selection list / template is one entry in the database.

Regards, Ashutosh NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.