cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get Back the License key for Symantec Backup Exec 8

Nick_Chan
Level 3

I have a old windows server 2003 with Symantec Backup Exec 8. They are installed by supplier in 2009. Today we want to migrate the Symantec Backup Exec 8 License to a new server. but when I use the License key that provided by the supplier to install the software, it warning me the license key is wrong. The Supplier has lost contact and they have not get us the whole license agreement, How can i get back my true license key from my old server?

9 REPLIES 9

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Licenses are saved in a file name besernum.xml. Find this file on the old server and you would get the licenses. Default locations are usually C:\Winnt or C:\Windows for your version of BE.

Nick_Chan
Level 3

I cannot find the besernum.xml in my old server C:, Is it deleted by the supplier? Can i regenerate this file again?

VJware
Level 6

Try using Windows Search to find this file as it may be in a different location. And no, it cannot be regenerated by itself.

Nick_Chan
Level 3

i have search all the drive in my old server, but can find the besernum.xml too.

1.png

pkh
   VIP    Certified
You are using BESR, not BE which is a different product. You should post your problem on the SSR forum, not this forum

VJware
Level 6

This is a different product. Backup Exec System Recovery 8 is a different product than Backup Exec 8. The license files (.slf) will be under C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ Licenses. Open the file using a text editor such as notepad to get the license key and find out which product it is for.

Nick_Chan
Level 3

Thank you and sorry about the software name, but i also cannot find the licsene files(.slf) in my old server C:. I can find C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ but there have not "Licenses" folder.

2.png

3.png

VJware
Level 6

If the .slf files are not present on the old server anywhere, then it could be possible this software was licensed via the BESR-MS (Backup Exec System Recovery - Management Solution) OR BESRM (Backup Exec System Recovery Manager)

Secondly, are you installing the exact same version of BESR on the new server ?

Your best bet now would be to contact licensing team and check if they can provide the old license for you or not & they could also confirm if the existing license is valid or not -  http://www.symantec.com/support/assistance_care.jsp

Nick_Chan
Level 3

Thz all. I will contact licensing team.