cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP/Quantum Autoloader Not recognized in Windows 2003 Server

AP_Subbiah
Level 3
We are running Backup exec 10 in Windows 2003 server.

Our tape device is HP/Quantum 418 autoloader (C6280-4000). After running the veritas device driver install, the tape drive is getting recognized only as standalone device. Medium changer is not getting recognized.

In the windows 2003 device manager, it shows that driver is not working under Medium Changer/HP tape library (code 10 error). However, under tape devices (quantum 4000 is shown with a working driver).

Where can I find the correct driver for this HP C6280 medium changer?

I checked the Backup 10 compatibility list and it shows that this device is tested (http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/274348.htm)

SCSI card that is used in our server is Adaptec SCSI 39160.

I tried the steps in the link (http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/273868.htm) but no use. My Inquiry Toggle switch is set on and the computer recognizes the full string as HP C6280-4000 for the medium changer during the start-up.

Targer SCSI IDs that I use right now are 5 for Autoloader and 6 for the tape drive.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
6 REPLIES 6

al_campbell
Level 3
Have you checked the SCSI settings for the Autoloader?
If you are only seeing the tape unit, the SCSI controller may not have "multiple LUN support" enabled.

Do a Ctrl+A during POST for the 39160 and check the settings.Message was edited by:
al campbell

Steve_O_2
Level 4
Veritas doesnt provide drivers for Medium Changes - You can load the microsoft default "Unkown Media Changer Driver" Just go thru the drive update and show a list of compatible driver and you should see the Unkown Microsoft Driver. Check you system log for any SCSI errors on the Card. As Al suggest make sure its setup correctly and you seeing everything in POST

AP_Subbiah
Level 3
1. Rightnow, in the device manager, under medium changers, I see an entry called "HP Tape Library". However, it says that the driver is not working (code 10). Under driver details tab, I see a Microsoft driver is identfied.
Is this unknown Microsoft medium changer driver?

2. I looked at the VSDLoad table entries. Medium changer inquiry string that is seen in vertias bediag.log is (HP C6280-4000). However the inquiry string that is loaded with HPDLT628 is (HP C6280). 4000 is missing. Also, under Non-Plug and Play drivers (hidden in device manager), I see SCSI Changer and HPDLT628 entries. Under driver tab, both start and stop buttons are disabled for both HPDLT628 & SCSIChanger. Is it normal?

3. HP 418 DLT Autoloader : Is it MULTI LUN Supported?

Advance thanks for help

AP_Subbiah
Level 3
Steve,

I did not see any SCSI related errors in the windows 2003 event viewer under SYSTEM,

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

We wish to know if you have followed the suggestions posted in the earlier replies and if the problem is resolved. If it persists, revert with details on the steps performed.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.

AP_Subbiah
Level 3
I tried the suggestions and did not help.

However, I found this microsoft KB today about windows2003 driver issue with medium changer. We also use ADAPTEC SCSI 39160 Ultra 160 controller.

I get the same symptoms that is descrbed in this article. Hope this driver fix will resolve my issue. Will update the forum in this week end.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;827548

AP