So - Here's some background...

System: Veritas Backup Exec. 11d

This is how it should be:

Slot 1: Monday
Slot 2: Tuesday
Slot 3: Wednesday
Slot 4: Thursday
Slot 5: Friday

Somehow my Media Label and the actual tape in the drive got flipped so that it looked like this:

Slot 1: Friday
Slot 2: Monday
Slot 3: Tuesday
Slot 4: Wednesday
Slot 5: Thursday

Problem is that I can physically re-label the tapes to match what the Media Label says, but doing so, my Allocated date and the Overwrite Protected Until date are still all off by one date.  Leaving it like this means that next month when this set of tapes comes back, I'm going to have Monday's backup actually write to Friday's tape because of the Overwite Protected Until date is only open for that date and then each nightly backup after that is going to be off by one date as well.

I have no idea how this happened in the first place and have no idea how to fix this issue.  I can't do a SW relabel because it will erase the data which I need.

ANY suggestions, help, assistance would be greatly appreciated.  I will try to answer any questions as well, though please note, I am new at using Veritas Backup Exec.

Thank you!

~Kristine

5 REPLIES 5

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
To keep this from happening again, you can partition the loader, and edit/create jobs to write to the associated slot, rather than the loader as a whole

At this point, about all that you can do is, the next time that this set of tapes is loaded, drag each to the Scratch Media set in the order that they should be used (whether you decide to partition or not)

Kristine
Level 2
Thanks! Another question or two though, please...

So if I pull them over to the Scratch Media set in the order they should be used, will doing that erase any data that is previously on the tape?

What are the steps to actually pull them over to the Scratch Media Set?

Thank you very much!

~Kristine

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
1)  Nope,  Just makes them Overwritable by any job that runs

2)  from the Media Tab, find the volume in the right pane, drag to the Scratch Media set in the left  pane

See the Admin Guide page 294

Kristine
Level 2
Thanks!

I actually inherited this project from the previous engineer.  Perchance do you have a URL link to the Admin guide?

Thanks a ton!

~Kristine

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

You might want to bookmark the Product Support Page
it has links to downloads, compatibility lists, documentation etc for all versions of BackupExec for Windows