cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with Backup Solution

d_d_8
Level 2
Hello,

I just started at a new company and they have Backup Exec 8.5 on a Windows 2000 Advanced server, we have just added a web server running windows server 2003 and will probably be adding an exchange 2003 server soon.

Can I put an agent on the Windows 2003 server to backup to the Windows 2000 Server where Backup Exec is installed?

Also the data is getting very large so i was thinking of switching from tape to a removabe hard drive to which will hold all the backup information for all 3 servers.

Should I upgrade to ver 9 or 10 or am I fine with 8.5?
4 REPLIES 4

Ashish_Kumar
Level 3
You would be better off upgrading your version, as whenever you would need to restore a backup, 8.5 on win2k for 2003 version would create problems.

What kind of data volume are you talking about? what is your frequency of taking back-ups?

d_d_8
Level 2
The Win 2003 is strictly a web server with total 8GB of data so that is all i am backing up.

Ashish_Kumar
Level 3
Its vital to understand the volume of critical data. Tape drive is good for large drive backups and recovery and generally can restore a whole drive. It is also more economical in the long run, although it takes a lot of time to restore the drive.

Hard drive backup is usually more expensive and not general industry practice, but is fastest in recovery (plug in the backup drive). But incremental backups are much harder to do with hard drives while it is not so with tape drives.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
No, Win2K3 requires v9.0.4454 as a minimum (see http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/252678.htm) (no longer available from Veritas)

If you upgrade to v10, and purchase a Remote Agent, you can install on either the 2000 or 2003 server and backup the other