cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with a restore

KvKvK
Level 3

Hi, one of our customers currently has a problem with a restore from 2014 on his old backup server. They are using Backup Exec 2010 R3 (not productive anymore, only used for older restores).

The problem is the following: They want to restore a certain partition from a machine which they are 100% sure was selected in the source of the backup job.

When they want to choose the data to restore, the partition is not available to select (no filters on a date range). There are only 3 shares to select which don't contain any needed data.

My question: Is there any way to find out if the data is indeed on a tape somewhere but the catalog is just defect or not complete? I tried manually submitting a catalog job on the tapes where I found the 3 shares (clicked through every tape in restore by media window).

This is in progress now but I'm not sure what else I can do besides that. Any hints?

Thanks!

1 REPLY 1

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

If the backup sets only show shares they may not have backed up the whole volume at all. However you would need all the job logs from the time of the original backups to really prove that.

If you suspect that data may be on tapes that are not in the catalog then the next step would be to run catalog jobs against every tape that you think may have been used around the time of interest (which may need records kept outside of Backup Exec of when the various tapes were used)