cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with autoloader/barcodes/media sets

Specwar
Level 3
Partner
I have an HP Autoloader setup with a barcode reader. It has 8 slots, with sets of tapes setup in two different media sets (daily and full).

For some reason the tapes seem to be moving themselves between sets. Every once and a while I look, and one of my 'full' tapes has made it's way into the 'daily' media set.

I am thinking this may have something to do with the tapes being rotated, then a backup running before an 'inventory' or 'scan' is done? Say I have the autoloader loaded with tapes, and perform a week of backups, then rotate the tapes out of the autoloader for new tapes. The next time the backup runs, does it automatically scan and recognize that new tapes are in the slots, or does it still think the old tape is in there?

What is the correct procedure for working with barcoded tapes and rotation in and out of the autoloader?
2 REPLIES 2

Brian_Coverston
Level 4
I have a similar situation.  Backup exec, by default, grabs any media that is allowable for overwrite, even if it takes it from one mediaset and changes it into another.

I fixed this by changing the setting located at:
Find the setting under the menu "Tools->Options->Settings/Media Management"
click "Overwrite recyclable media contained in the target media set before overwriting scratch media"
click "OK"

Since a tape that is allowed to be overwritable is considered "scratch media", this will cause Backup Exec to use recyclable media instead, thus keeping tapes from hopping mediasets.

Also, if you have a carousel, you can partition it and set Backup Exec to backup to the specific partitioned slots, which also helps to make sure media sets never hop between each other.

Specwar
Level 3
Partner
Thanks, i'll try that setting and see if it helps.

I do also have slot partitions setup. I have two partitions, each of which can contain media from two media sets (daily and full). So i direct a backup to a specific slot, then to a piece of media in that partition based on it's media set.

This is why I am worried about backupexec losing track of media. if it knows media from Set A is in Slot 1, and then the media is rotated out, the next time it goes to do a job and pull media from Set A Slot 1, it will still think it has the old tape.

Is there a way to schedule scan jobs? i only see a way to schedule an Inventory, which i think is overkill. I just want it to rescan all the media before it starts a job and picks up a tape.