Level 6

The Problem

FWIW

Hotfix 164220 Liveupdate bug?

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH164220

I had this fail as an auto update.

Manually running live update it failed

The Reason

The orignial source for your Backup Exec is not longer available to the hotfix. either the DVD is no longer in the drive or the source directory no longer exists.

The Solution(s)

1) Put the DVD in the drive or copy the source directory back to its original location and re run live update

2) If you don't know where the source path was get anotehr copy of the source installation files, download the update from http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH164220. run the update interactively, when prompted for the installation souce path for BE2010 R3 point it to your new location for the source installation files for BE2010 R3

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Lesta_G
Level 6

In my case the domain administrator was logging into the vcenter for AVVI and the error was happening. there is only one VCenter role active (the default of administrator).

Anyhow the installation of BE2010 R3 Service Pack 1 and Hotfix 167567 seems to of made the problem go away.

(because the darn thing autoupdated to 167567 before the backup, I have no idea which update fixed the problem)

So thats good news!

:)

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Nick_Elmer
Level 6
Employee

Hi Lesta,

Can you attach the portion of your install log where it failed? I would like to see what the failure was vs the interactive install.

Thanks
Nick

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

You haven't posted the exact error or instal  log, however try making sure that the Installation media for Backup Exec 2010 R3 is available on the media server in the same path that it originally was when the server was first installed and tehn run LiveUpdate again.

Lesta_G
Level 6

Can you give me a hint as to where the logs are? :D

All I noticed was that the liveupdate failed. So I did a manual install which resulted in it prompting me for the source "disk"

all sorted, just thought I would post to help anyone else.

Lesta_G
Level 6

see attached

If it is a design feature that you need teh source disk , thats ok, just seemed strange to me

Colin_Weaver

To be honest it's not specifically a design feature that this might need the ISO to be available I am providing a possible workaround for an issue by suggesting you make the ISO available.

I do have a question - do you know if any private hotfixes - usually called Orphan Hotfixes (but are similar to Beta updates) might have been applied to your media server prior to attempting to install the Hotfix you are having problems with?

Lesta_G
Level 6

Hi Colin, nothing that I know of, but I have only been manging this site 3 months. Historically they have been slow to do the liveupdates as it only alerts that there is a new hotfix. Server is about a year old.

I am hesitant to load it on our other media servers as i now have the problem assocated with the hotfix

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH169423&viewlocale=en_US&impressio...

I have uninstalled the hotfix, but still get the error(s).

Is there a thread relating to this other issue? as I am uising a domain admin account in the backup exec services to get to the ESX servers and thast is supposed to be the workaround

ETA: well at least I think I am?  what service uses the AVVI

Lesta_G
Level 6

Cancel the bit

I have uninstalled the hotfix, but still get the error(s).

Even though I did uninstall the hot fix (i did dad really!!) it was not uninstalled, I have just re-uninstalled it and rebooted the server and double checked it is gone and will see what the backups do tonight

rappleby
Level 2

Hi there,

I also am not able to install the HOTFIX 164220 using Live Update. The error I receive is:

"Update HOTFIX 164220 (X64) failed to install. Review the Backup Exec installation log for more information."

The error asks me to check the instalation log file for erros. Where do I find this "installation log"? I have looked around but cannot see it anywhere.

Thanks,
Rob

rappleby
Level 2
  • Attached the USB DVD drive to my server.
  • Put the 2010 R3 DVD in the DVD drive.
  • Ran LiveUpdate, it installed another HOTFIX then 2010 R3 SP1 successfully
  • Ran Live Update again and it installed HOTFIX 167576 successfully
  • Updated all media agents that were required.
  • All good!

thanks,
Rob

Lesta_G
Level 6

To be honest it's not specifically a design feature that this might need the ISO to be available I am providing a possible workaround for an issue by suggesting you make the ISO available.

Yep, that is what I did, In my case I manually downloaded the update and ran it, it then prompted for the path to the items in question it needed

I have always found, when I have a hotfix that does not install via live update, to down load the hotfix and install it manually and see what happens.

The reason for the post was to share info, rather than pose a question looking for a solution.

I have updated my original post to make it clearer what to do. (your workaround)

Colin_Weaver

TECH169423 can be worked around by changing your ESX permissions. (It was actually me that researched thsi internally when it was first reported.)

Lesta_G
Level 6

In my case the domain administrator was logging into the vcenter for AVVI and the error was happening. there is only one VCenter role active (the default of administrator).

Anyhow the installation of BE2010 R3 Service Pack 1 and Hotfix 167567 seems to of made the problem go away.

(because the darn thing autoupdated to 167567 before the backup, I have no idea which update fixed the problem)

So thats good news!

:)