cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hotfix and SP:s installation problems - failed to start ECM service

Jori_Kymalainen
Level 3
I have this problem. Can�t install any hotfixes or service packs. Only one hotfix installed, but all others cause an istallation error. Bkupinst.log says this:

03-21-2006,12:27:08 : Attaching BEDB to SQL Server.
03-21-2006,12:27:08 : EXEC sp_attach_db 'BEDB',@filename1 = N'e:\sql\backupexec\MSSQL$BACKUPEXEC\data\BEDB_Dat.mdf', @filename2 = N'C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\Data\BEDB_Log.ldf'
03-21-2006,12:27:08 : ERROR: Device activation error. The physical file name 'C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\Data\BEDB_Log.ldf' may be incorrect.

sql:EXEC sp_attach_db 'BEDB',@filename1 = N'e:\sql\backupexec\MSSQL$BACKUPEXEC\data\BEDB_Dat.mdf', @filename2 = N'C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\Data\BEDB_Log.ldf'

03-21-2006,12:27:12 : Rolling back stop of BE services.

03-21-2006,12:27:34 : ERROR: Failed to start service - ECM Service

When i look in the application data in server�s event viewer, it says:

Event ID 1024

Product: VERITAS Backup Exec for Windows Servers - Update '{FCD972F9-E88C-4D38-B170-0242CDB99CE9}' could not be installed. Error code 1603. Windows Installer can create logs to help troubleshoot issues with installing software packages. Use the following link for instructions on turning on logging support: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=23127

We have databases on a different SQL server than media server. Installation asked for original BXE files and i linked the position to a different server than media server.
I tryed to install from terminal and in local machine, with no successfull result.

Software: Windows server 2003 - BXE 10.0 rev.5520, SQL 2005 etc.
5 REPLIES 5

Asma_Tamboli
Level 6
Hello,

Does the following file exist in the path?

'C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\Data\BEDB_Log.ldf'

Please run a repair installation of backup Exec with the help of the following document:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/253199

and then try running the installation of the service pack. Refer to the following document:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/274398

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Jori_Kymalainen
Level 3
Yes, that file exists in the path. I will try reinstalling and silent-mode installing in this week.

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi,

Thank you for the Update.

Update us on the same and revert for any further Query
Hope this will help you

Thank you
Gauri

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Jori_Kymalainen
Level 3
Hi,

I re-installed BXE and tryed normal SP installation, it failed. I will try SP silent-mode installation in weekend.

Another question: If i install remote agents and hotfixes in silent-mode, will the target server reboot automatically after installation?

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

- We will wait for an Update from you...

- If you install remote agents and hotfixes in silent-mode, the target server should be rebooted manually.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Thanks.