cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I automate the relocating of active B2D sets?

RobHernandez
Level 2

Everyone,

I am in the process of configuring Backup Exec to utilize a storage server at an off-site colo facility as a backup for our existing B2D infrastructure.  The current infrastructure has been running for the better part of 4 months now and it contains plenty of data that I would like to either duplicate or completely relocate to our new offsite storage server.  I can duplicate the data easily enough, however I am having a hard time figuring out how to relocate the data sets.  I was under the mistaken impression that configuring a Media Vault would also allow me to move data from one physical location to another based on a set retention policy.  Naturally, this would be the ideal method of moving data (retention policy based on age of data).

So can this be done via BE? Or is this something that must be scripted?

Any help you can offer will be appreciated.

- Rob

3 REPLIES 3

I_T_Guy
Level 4

if your offsite storage location is also utilizing disk based storage and if it has network connectivity with your exising environment then you can create a B2D based on the Disck storage of your offsite server in Backup Exec and then configure a duplicate job to duplicate the data from your existing B2D's to the B2D created on offsite storage server.

The only chalange here is the bandwidth and network speed that you get between both your locations.

hope this helps.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

There is no easy way to it.  Even if you manage to duplicate it directly to the remote disk storage, you would still need to inventory and catalog the .bkf files before they can be used.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

We strongly recommend that only duplicate jobs within Backup Exec are used to move data from one media location to another. In simple terms Backup Exec is a very large relational database with part held in the BEDB (SQL Database), part held inside the media and part held in the catalogs. If you copy BKF or IMG data around and don't have time matched Backup Exec database and catalog files then because of how the B2D and IMG files and folder can be re-used, recovering from the version you copied away can cause problems as if you copy them back as inconsistencies are introduced (unless you copy back to a clean/unused Backup Exec server)