cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does BE mark files on a Full Backup so it knows it backed it up?

macpiano
Level 6

Does BE actually mark files so it knows it has been backed up so on a inc or diff it knows it was backed up the last time and skips it? I only say that because on one of my servers while viewing by icon there is a little black square on a file's icon and it goes away if you click on it or open it.

I know weird question but we are baffled by the little black squares.

3 REPLIES 3

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

BE will just check the archive bit or modified time of the file that is being backed up.

This link may help http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO11804

teiva-boy
Level 6

Do you own Enterprise Vault?  EV does that to files that have been archived.  Outside of that, BE does nothing with the icon's, and amolzeroCool nailed the process/answer

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

In enterprise vault there is setting which you can set on your vault store to "Remove safety copies after Backup" . When you have this setting all the items which you archive goes in pending state and once the backup of the vault store is taken the item gets converted to a shortcut from a pending archive icon  . enterprise vault main a record of all the files which are not backed up in the Sql database , and once the backup is taken of the vault store partition , it checks the archvie bit on the files which are awaiting backup.