Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How i can customize Tape autoloader with Backup Exec 2010 R2

FZ2H
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Dear All,

i have a Backup Exec 2010 R2 with Tape HP Autoloder two magazine each one 8 slot .

My question is

How i can Customize with Backup Exec , i mean how i can use it with Backup Jobs and policy a

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

You can configure several things, depending what you like.

For example, you can configure partitions on your library and point a backup to a specific partition so it will pick only tape(s) from that partition.

You can also create an overwrite policy, if you configure overwrite protection for 7 days, your backup tape will not be overwritten for 7 days, the 8th day it can be overwritten.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

You can configure several things, depending what you like.

For example, you can configure partitions on your library and point a backup to a specific partition so it will pick only tape(s) from that partition.

You can also create an overwrite policy, if you configure overwrite protection for 7 days, your backup tape will not be overwritten for 7 days, the 8th day it can be overwritten.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Configure the tape library with BE.

Insert tapes into the magazines and perform an inventory.

Configure media sets according to your requirements. Assign media sets to your backup jobs and assign device also to it.Schedule the backup jobs.

Note:No need to move the media manually into media sets. BE will do that job for you.

If you want some dedicated tapes to be used for backups, create partitions and target your backup jobs at partitions.

Regards...

FZ2H
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Dears,

Thanks but what do you mean by Partions

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

For having more control over which media is used for backup jobs, you can configure one or more slots in a robotic library into partitions. By targetting a backup job into a particular partiion, BE will use only the media available inthose particular slots for writing the backup data. If enough tapes arenot available in those slots then the job will be failed.

Creating, configuring, and targeting a backup job to a Robotic Library partition in Backup Exec For Windows Server: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH27909

Regards....

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...best bet is to get hold of the BE 2010 Admin guide. Download it and read it...it's going to fill you in on a lot of the basics!

menaga
Not applicable
Partner Accredited

Hi there,

Partitioning your library is a way to get more control over your tapes for sure. However creating media sets and combining overwrite protection with appendable perriod helps you save some money. 

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...save money...How? Partitioning a library is free.