cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much Data am I backing up? Backup Exec 2012

bukosknr
Level 3

Is there a good way that can accruately tell me how much data per night per job I am backing up?
I would just like to run a report nightly that shows me by server how much data I am backing up.

10 REPLIES 10

lmosla
Level 6

Hello,  

take a look at the Symantec Backup Exec 2012 Administrator's Guide pg 599 Backup Size By Resource report.  

Is this what you are looking for?

bukosknr
Level 3

I cannot get that report to run.  It gives me an error:

Ther server was unable to complete th requestion operation.

Unkown Reason: 10.

Calling Method 'ExecuteReportJobWithArgs'

BEMSDK Method 'CBemReportJob.Execute'

BEMSDK Failure Code: 10:X8

Clicking OK doesn't bring up the report.

bukosknr
Level 3

In trying to re-create the report as a custom report (I can run those) I do not see any selection called Backup Size or Trailing Avg as options to select.

lmosla
Level 6

In Custom Report under Field Selection in the Category: Job history Group, you can choose Fields to be displayed: such as: Bytes Processed, Files, Server,Total Data Size, Total Files

bukosknr
Level 3

which one of those is the same as backup size?

And any idea how to get my report to start working correctly?

lmosla
Level 6

Total Data Size will give you the Total amount of data in megabytes processed by the job.

Make sure you have all of your Live updates installed and the AWS pushed out to your remote servers, there was a service pack released (I think SP1) that had a fix for this report issue.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Total Data Size will give you the Total amount of data in megabytes processed by the job.

If I am not mistaken, this is not the amount of data backed up.  For example, if you are running an incremental job and is processing a 100MB directory, 100MB is the Total Data Size.  It may be that the changed files is only 10MB and this is the amount of data that is actually backed up.

bukosknr
Level 3

pkh, you are exactly right,  When using that paramater I do not see the actual data amount backed up.  Is there something for that?  Or any idea how to fix the out of the box report that isn't working?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

This number is tricky.  Using my example above, suppose you use compression and the 10MB send to the media is compressed to 7MB.  Which number do you report, 10MB or 7MB?

bukosknr
Level 3

Can anyone help with

1) Getting the out of the box report running?

2) Getting the Data number on a custom report?