cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How read the HCL?

JustTryinToGetI
Level 6

I am lookng at the Hardware compatibility list for BExec 2012.

1. What does the column mean that says "Library Inquiry/Drive Inquiry"?

2. I dont see the HCL for BExec 2010.  Is Quantum i40 Scalar on it? How about Overland NEO Storageloader.  More details....hmmm.  Hmmmm, maybe better if ya point me in direction of the HCL. Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

www.backupexec.com/compatibility is your easy to remember source for the

"Software Compatibility Lists (SCL), Hardware Compatibility Lists (HCL), and Administrator Guides for Backup Exec (all versions)"

This is how the robotic library and tape drive identify themselves to the Operating System, to the drivers and to Backup Exec.

You will find this is the spec sheets of the hardware, in the device properties in Windows and in Backup Exec in the GUI and in the adamm.log, among many other places. 

Your device is required to match something on the HCL, including these inquiry strings, to be fully supported.

In general, the devices you mentioned are on the HCL.  The specifics depend upon the exact tape drive and interface (SAS, FC, etc)  I don't recall Overland having a "StorageLoader", so double check that please.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

lmosla
Level 6

Here is the list of Backup Execs HCL's SCL's and Admin guides http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH205797 I don't see a column called  "Library Inquiry/Drive Inquiry"...

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

www.backupexec.com/compatibility is your easy to remember source for the

"Software Compatibility Lists (SCL), Hardware Compatibility Lists (HCL), and Administrator Guides for Backup Exec (all versions)"

This is how the robotic library and tape drive identify themselves to the Operating System, to the drivers and to Backup Exec.

You will find this is the spec sheets of the hardware, in the device properties in Windows and in Backup Exec in the GUI and in the adamm.log, among many other places. 

Your device is required to match something on the HCL, including these inquiry strings, to be fully supported.

In general, the devices you mentioned are on the HCL.  The specifics depend upon the exact tape drive and interface (SAS, FC, etc)  I don't recall Overland having a "StorageLoader", so double check that please.

JustTryinToGetI
Level 6

Very good URL to know about!

JustTryinToGetI
Level 6

Thanks btw...