cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Logon Account Selection "error"

jonclem
Level 3

I have recently experienced this issue with BackupExec 2010. If I go to create a new backup job via the manual process or via the wizard I choose the server in question and then I am presented with the window entitled Logon Account Selection with the error:

Failed to log on to:  “server in question”
Logon account: Domain\account (the account in question is a new Backup account I have created to try to overcome this issue).

The directory or file was not found, or could not be accessed.

Please select a logon account from the list:

I then have a list of AD accounts including the one I have recently created in AD which has FULL admin privs as well as the Backup perms. 

I have tested my own domain admin account and this also fails. 

I can amend previous jobs but not create any.

I have gone through the steps in the following post with no change to my predicament (https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH66221.html)

Any helpful advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Since amending the credentials for the services

Would you clarify what exactly did you amend ? Resources do not get listed when the account doesn't have necessary permissions.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

lmosla
Level 6

can you ping the Active Directory server from the media server?  Have you rebooted the AD server and the media server?

also what version of Backup Exec 2010 are you running?  Make sure it is fully updated and the remote agent pushed out to your remote servers

VJware
Level 6

Is a System Logon Account configured in BE ? If yes, it should be in the format domain\administrator and preferably should be the same account under which the BE services run.

Do ensure the account has all rights as per - https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH23689.html

If using BE 2010 R3, then do ensure a "Trust Relationship" is established with the remote servers.

Also, do ensure ndmp port 10000 is available for use by the remote agent. Lastly, the remote agent service must be started and running under the local system account.

jonclem
Level 3

Imosla..

You advise pinging the AD server from the media server, yes, I get a reply when I ping the AD/DC from the BE Media server. No I have not rebooted any servers as yet but have bounced the services as per the articale I mentioned.

We are running BE 2010 R2 Media server version 13.0 Rev. 4164 (64Bit) and yes the media server is fully up to date.

VJware
Level 6

Would recommend to upgrade from 2010 R2 to the later release  2010 R3 which is much more stable and contains multiple fixes as well.

Existing licenses can be used and the upgrade is straight-forward. Link to 2010 R3 installer - http://trialware.norton.com/files/fc/Backup_Exec_2010_13.0.5204_MultiPlatforms_Multilingual_DVD.iso

jonclem
Level 3

Help!

Since amending the credentials for the services, I have now lost the resources list, the online help does not provide much unfortunately, 

Thanks!

VJware
Level 6

Since amending the credentials for the services

Would you clarify what exactly did you amend ? Resources do not get listed when the account doesn't have necessary permissions.

jonclem
Level 3

VJware, do you know which service the resources are "linked" with?

Thanks!

VJware
Level 6

The BE services are interlinked with each other for many functions, though the resource browse view is essentially due to the remote agent service.

jonclem
Level 3

VJware,

I have now upgraded our version of BE to R3 and I still getting the Logon Account Selection box stating the following: The directory or file was not found, or could no be accessed. 

Where do I locate the following:

Also, do ensure ndmp port 10000 is available for use by the remote agent. Lastly, the remote agent service must be started and running under the local system account.

Thanks!

lmosla
Level 6

Hi  You can use telnet to check the port availability: https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH107919.html

and to check that the remote agent service is started and running under the local system account   check your services in Windows (Start - Administrative Tools- Services) and make sure the Remote Agent service is running as the following: Backup Exec Remote Agent service start up type - Automatic and logon as local system account

remote service_0.PNG

pkh
   VIP    Certified

@jonclem - You have not answered the question and how can you mark an answer as the solution.