cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Back up and archive old data that has not been accessed in "X" days

marc_magnan
Not applicable
I have about 500gb of data that I'm backing up from a scsi drive array.
I would like to know if I can run a backup to tape and only backup folders that haven't been accessed in 2 years, then verify the backup and purge the data on the scsi array that it has backed up.

Any idea if this can be done with Veritas 9.1 on windows 2003 Server?
5 REPLIES 5

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Create a "File Grooming Job"

From the GUI do Help, and search on "File Grooming", select "Archive data using disk grooming"

After the job backs up the data, it will automaticaly run a verify. If the verify is successful, it will then delete the files, if it does not, the files will be left where they are

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello,
Please follow the suggestions given by Ken.
Let us know the result.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Thanks.

Marc_Magnan_2
Not applicable
This seems to make sense and I'll try it but I'm wondering if it will actually backup the entire directory directory itself if it has not been touched. I'd like to keep the directory structure in tact rather than just pulling files out that haven't been touched.

For example; a users home folder that hasn't been accessed should be completly backed up and archived if it hasn't been touched so that it can be restored easily if need be.

Thanks for the info!!

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
A File Grooming Job will only grab files that exceed the limits you select, if you want to retain the directory structure but archive data, you have to do a little more work

Create a file called something like "Do Not Delete.Txt". and make it a hidden file. Make the contents something like "Do not delete this file. It is used with Backup Exec to maintain a proper archive" or something similar.

Place it in any directory that you want to retain (or at the lowest level of each directory tree) , and add the file name to the Global Excludes list.

Don't know how this will work with User's Home directories, but it worked just fine in the Client FTP directory at one company I worked for.

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,Once again, please tell us if the last response answers the query to your satisfaction.

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.