cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Backup data on a Network Drive

beaujoire
Level 5

Hi,

I am using backup Exec 2012 and I would like to know if is it possible de backup data located on a network drive. I explain :

- On my Internal Server I have mount a network drive  which is an External FTP Storage, when I navigate on the BackupExec Server I don't see this network drive. Is it normal ?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Backup Exec does not support backup via ftp. Also the reason you can't do it via a mapped drive is that mapped drives are linked with logged in windows console users, but BE has to operate when no users are logged in (at a service level). As such you need to expose the storage via UNC (CIFS or Windows style sharing) and then follow the document I provided.

Note: I am concerned that you are mixing up ftp and Windows compatible Network Attached Storage devices (which use UNC paths similar to \\server\share)

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Colin_Weaver

Bear in mind mapped drives are linked with logon profiles so can't be used, but share (UNC) paths can be. Try this info:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH189560

beaujoire
Level 5

ok but I can't use the share with UNC paths. I have to use something like  ftp://ftp.server.com.

What's why I create a windows network drive .. I thought BackupExec could see this share.

Colin_Weaver

Backup Exec does not support backup via ftp. Also the reason you can't do it via a mapped drive is that mapped drives are linked with logged in windows console users, but BE has to operate when no users are logged in (at a service level). As such you need to expose the storage via UNC (CIFS or Windows style sharing) and then follow the document I provided.

Note: I am concerned that you are mixing up ftp and Windows compatible Network Attached Storage devices (which use UNC paths similar to \\server\share)