cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Delete medias from backup exec 2012.

jasonicom
Level 3

Hello, I just upgraded to backup exec 2012 from 2010.

Before when I want to delete some old media sets. I will do---select media sets---associated with retired media set----delete them from retired media ----and then manually delete them from disk.

How could I do this from backup exec 2012?

Now I edited the registry so I can see the media tab from -----storage tab

But there is only details option I can choose, but no other options

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

lmosla
Level 6

Jasonicom 

take a look at this article and let me know if it helps  http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH182577

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

lmosla
Level 6

Jasonicom 

take a look at this article and let me know if it helps  http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH182577

jasonicom
Level 3

Thank you!

So there is no way just delete the catalog. It will also delete the actual data.

Jason

lmosla
Level 6

Jason,

If you are wanting more space on your media server you can move the catalog folder by simply creating a new a new catalogs folder in a new location and copy the contents of the old catalog folder to the new one. Than you wouldn need to either use BEUtility to change the catalog location or just change the path from Backup Exec Settings. Then you would want to restart the Backup Exec services so that the changes become effective.  Afterwards you can delete the old folder.

You dont want to just delete the catalog folder because as stated from the Admin Guide :

'While backing up data, Backup Exec creates a catalog that contains information about the backup sets and about the storage device on which the backup sets are stored.Whenyou select data to restore, Backup Exec uses the catalog information to find the restore selections and the storage devices on which they reside'

jasonicom
Level 3

Thank you very much!