Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Restore an Windows 2003 Server

Rob_Hassall
Level 3
Hi.

I've tried 6 times to get this document
http://support.veritas.com/docs/236286 to work as it says..

I'm trying to restore an Windows 2003 DC in a test domain. It will only be the only DC as the others are not being restored. I've tried doing as the document says but I get different errors each time. Sometimes I can not restore the system state because "A failure occurred restoring because the files cannot be replaced and no alternate location was specified" So I tried what that document suggested and restored the C: first and then the system state but I still get the same error.

I've had errors before about the permissions to the drives (But I think i've sorted them)

Some of the documents tell me that I should be in Directory Restore mode.. but why does the original document not say this??

Can anyone offer any help??
4 REPLIES 4

Don_Markese
Not applicable
Good Luck!!

I have been trying off and on for a week now and it just doesnt work.

Rob_Hassall
Level 3
I just love the way one document tells you one thing... and another something else!!!

Rob_Hassall
Level 3
This soultion below worked for me hope its useful to everyone!!

Domain Controller Restore

1) Rebuild the Server to Windows 2003
2) Accept all the defaults for speed as the restore will set all the regional and licence information up
3) Do not join the domain that the DC was in
4) Do not install Active Directory
5) Call the server the same name as your old server
6) Make a note of the admin password you set. You’ll need this later on.
7) Once the server is rebuilt, reboot and login as Administrator and the password
8) Set the IP address to match your backup server. This means they can talk to each other.
9) Ping your backup server to ensure connectivity
10) Install the Veritas Remote Agent asking Veritas to reboot once completed.
11) Once the server has come up you need to go to your backup server and complete a ping to ensure network connectivity
12) Go back to your new Domain Controller and check that you have the same drives you had on your old Domain Controller and that they are all formatted and ready for use.
13) Reboot your new Domain Controller and press F8 just before it boots into W2K3
14) Select Directory Restore Mode (Windows Domain Controllers Only)
15) Login with the Admin password you used in step 6
16) Now go back to your Backup Server and go to backup
17) Check that you can see your new Domain Controller by selecting it as if you wanted to back it up. If you get any errors about login rights then you will need to set another service account up within Backup Exec
18) If you can see all your drives then you are ready to restore.
19) Go to restore and select all the drives from your old server including the Shadow Copy Components
20) It might take a while but it should restore OK.
21) Finally if everything has gone OK you should get a message from Backup Exec asking you to restart your Domain Controller. BEFORE you reboot your Domain Controller make sure that your boot.ini file is correct otherwise you’ll have to repair it before your Windows server will ever reboot again!
22) Once the boot.ini is correct reboot the server
23) When the server comes up it should be working OK. It might take a little longer to boot if its not being restored back to the same server as before. (Hardware changes and such). Also it may do an Active Directory reindex which took a few minutes for me!

Your Domain Controller should now be fully reboot!!

Hope this helps people...

towwei_lim
Level 3
Partner
all,

rob is right. you should get your DC restored following his ways.