cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Update Linux Remote Agents?

Thundercleese
Level 5
Looking over the Linux servers, it appears to me that no one ever applied the Linux agent updates.  Below are two method Symantec recommends to check the version number (with commands that I used):

seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/284152.htm (method 1 for finding version #)
# strings beremote | grep Version
_Z14ndmpSetVersionPvt
_Z14ndmpGetVersionPv
VERITAS_Backup_Exec_File_Version=12.5.2213.0

seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/300795.htm (method 2 for finding version #)
# cat /var/VRTSralus/ralus.ver
ralus=2213.8
mdm=MDM_v0.0.3497
vxms=VxMS_v4.4-026

Note on method 2: The format for ralus=2213.8 is <product revision>.<hotfix number>

How I'm interpreting the above output, is that while the product revision is up to date the hotfix number is not.  Do I just install the latest update, which looks to be Hotfix 336087.  Or do I have to install all updates up to and including Hotfix 336087?

I've never updated a remote agent on Linux before, I'm thinking of using the installation method described at the bottom of this page:
seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/300795.htm

Additional Information:
  • Linux Servers running RHEL 5 (64-Bit)
  • Backup Exec 12.5 SP2 (fully patched.. haven't gone SP3 yet)

2 REPLIES 2

DominikG
Level 6
Partner Accredited
I would use this guide too. This is how it works.
Hotfixes never include earlier hotfixes, only service packs do. So you would have to install each hotfix.

best regards

Dominik

If this answeres your question / solves your problem, I would appreciate if you mark it as the solution. Thank you!

Thundercleese
Level 5
Rats, I was hoping I could avoid installing all the Linux hotfix's to bring it's agent up to date.  Oh well.... what can you do.