cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Upgrade from 8.x to 9.x

Bob_McKinley
Level 2
Over the weekend we lost a server that had BackupExec version 9.1 installed. The server is back online however the only copy of Backup Exec with a license key that I have found is version 8.6. I'm new to this company and I'm trying to get the 8.6 back up to at least 9.1ASAP, however I can't seem to find the best way for this. If I have a License Key for 8.6 does that mean I have a valid license to update to 9.x or even 10.x? If so what is the easiest way of doing that. I've download both 9.0 and 9.1 but when I attempt to install it the License key is rejected. Can I do a update from within the 8.6 software, or is there an upgrade version of 9.x that I need instead of what I've downloaded, which bay the way was: Q118478.BEWS.91.4691.1_264658.zip and bews90_258718.zip. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance....
3 REPLIES 3

uz
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
forget the update from 8 to 9.

Just do install a blank version BE 9.1
Insert the latest tape holding the last full backup of the BE server 9.1.
Inventory and catalog this tape.
Restore the BE data and catalog directory, as well as the file BESERNUM.XML /from c:winnt or c:windows) to a temp directory

after the restore open BE GUI and start the BE installation
when prompted to insert the license numbers, press IMPORT and choose the besernum.xml you have just restored - This brings back your old BE 9.1 licenses.

Afterwards, use beutility to recover database - by copying back the bedb.bak that you have previously restored from the data directory.

Copy the catalogs back to the catalog directory and you should be fine. The new BE server should look the same as the old one before it crashed.

(you can find add. TIDs on how to recover the BE database with beutility on the VERITAS support webside.)

regards

uz

Shyam_Sundar
Level 6
Hello,

Holding a valid license key for Backup Exec 8.6 does not mean that you have a valid license for Backup Exec versions 9.x or 10.0. Corresponding license keys has to be purchased depending upon to which version you are going to upgrade to.

You can also use Backup Exec 9.x or 10.0 in evaluation mode for 60 days after which a valid license has to be purchased.

The latest version of Backup Exec 9.x is Version 9.1 4691. Download information :

Please use following link to download Backup Exec v9.1. The evaluation period is valid for 60 days.

-VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 9.1 for Windows Servers revision 4691.1 (Single .ZIP download)

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/264658.htm

For further information, please get in touch with our local sales representative. Alternatively, you can contact our local sales office. You can locate them using following URLs:

http://www.veritas.com/contactus/ContactUsHome.jhtml

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions"pool.

Bob_McKinley
Level 2
Thanks for the information.