cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to apply new tapes

tomputer
Level 3
Hi!
Please, answer me,  what is the procedure for applying new tape.

Placed in the new dell 124T tape, ran the initialization by right-clicking on the robotic library or should I run something else?

I'm using BE 12.5
6 REPLIES 6

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi there,

Placing them into the library and running an inventory will detect the tapes as scratch media, making them immediately available for any jobs pointing to partitions or all slots.
What you can do though is 1 of the following:

1. If using barcode labels, assign those tapes manually under Media to any specific media sets you deem necessary.
2. If not using barcodes, manually label the tapes in BEWS, and then assign them to specific media sets if necessary.
3. Let BEWS grab the tapes as need be and it will add the tapes to media sets as, and when it uses them.

Other that that, a simple adding into the library, and then inventory is all you would need to have scratch tapes available.

Laters!

tomputer
Level 3

I'm using barcodes,i done the inventory, After all the tapes are shown in the Devices-Slots, and then assigned them to the newly created media set.
But when i try to do some job, it appears to me a message

Please insert overwritable media into the robotic library using the import command.

Overwritable media includes scratch, blank, and recyclable media. Please note that depending on the current Media Overwrite Protection setting, imported and allocated media may be overwritable as well. Consult the online help for more information on overwritable media\

CraigV
OK...
Then check to make sure those tapes are assigned to the scratch set. If not, you can do this manually. I'd do this before running a job.
What are your overwrite protection settings configured for? Overwrite media? Append if media avaible, otherwise overwrite?
Do you have any partitions, and are you jobs pointing correctly to those partitions?

Thanks!

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

I'm using barcodes,i done the inventory, After all the tapes are shown in the Devices-Slots, and then assigned them to the newly created media set.

When you move the tape volumes to the media set, they take on all properties of that media set, including the OPP and APP dates

This means that if your media set has an OPP of 13 days, you will not be able to Overwrite it for another 13 days.  Just leave the tapes in the Scratch media set, and let the job move them into the appropriate media set when the job starts

tomputer
Level 3
Thanks

CraigV
Any news here?