cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to back up Exchange mailboxes

Jeff_Stambolsky
Level 3
Hi,

I'm trying to find documentation or information on how to properly back up Exchange 2003 mailboxes but can't seem to find any.

Can anyone help please?

Thank you!!
4 REPLIES 4

Robert_Schmidt_
Level 6
I'm, assuming (maybe not correctly) that you have purchased the Agent for Microsoft Exchange Server?

In the standard Backup Exec Help file there is a long section on the Agent for Exchange.

Jeff_Stambolsky
Level 3
Yes, we have the Exchange agent. I didn't even bother to look there, but you are right, it was helpful indeed. D'oh :) Thanks!

Robert_Schmidt_
Level 6
Pay particular attention to the document in that section of the help file which addresses "Backing up Exchange Mailboxes and Public Folders" - for tips like which system mailboxes to exclude from the backup, etc.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
You may also want to take a look at http://mail.tekscan.com/nomailboxes.htm

It is a little dated, but all the points still hold true.

Also, be aware that BrickLevel backups are useless for disaster recovery purposes. You NEED stores level backups for that. You may decide to do brick level for a few high profile users, but not for every body

If you have the diskspace on the Exchange Server, you can restore a stores backup to the Recovery Storeage Group and get anything you need from that.

(Looks like Veritas/Symantec have improved Brick Level in v10, but there were lots of folks who had real problems when trying to do a single mailbox restore in v9.x)

And a final comment. ThroughPut for brick level backups is horrendously low. You may get 400-500 MB/min for your stores backups and 25-30 for the bricklevel