cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to backup Exchange 2003

Anders_Eliasson
Level 3
Hi

I have one Windows 2003 fileserver with Veritas Backup Exec 10.d installed on it. This server is used to backup several other Windows 2003 servers with a remote agent, advanced open file and the exchange 2003 client. Now for my question regarding the backup of exchange 2003. The backupjob is configured to backup Microsoft Exchange mailboxes, Microsoft Exchange Public folders and Microsoft information store (first storage group). I believe this is the way to backup Exchange but still my logfiles are growing. After a full-backup, the Archive-flag is removed from the logfiles but they are not deleted. What is wrong? Do I have to backup the logfiles from the filesystem and not only with the exchange-agent?

Thanks
Anders
4 REPLIES 4

Anders_Eliasson
Level 3
Hi

A tryied to run a full backup again but the logfiles that was backuped wasn't purged. Still the archive-flag was removed so the files has been backuped. What could be wrong. The solution can't be to delete the files by hand after every full backup.

/Anders

Anders_Eliasson
Level 3
Hi again.

Still the logfiles are not removed after a full backup job. I checked the database for corruption and the errorlevel was -1. I know that minus is real bad so i checked all of the logfiles and databases with eseutil. Since no errormessages were found i'm starting to get confused. Rechecking the errorlevel and now it says 0. Is zero good or bad?
Does backupexec trigger exchange to set the errorlevel to -1 after a differential backup so that the logfiles wont be removed?

Need help
Anders

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello Anders,

- How have you Configured your Exchange?
- Is circular Logging enabled?

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Thanks.

Anders_Eliasson
Level 3
Hi

When i checked my exchange database i got an errorlevel -1. After re-checking the database (now with errorlevel 0) the backup started to work properly.

/Anders