cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to backup a simple windows-share without the RemoteAgent?

Tobias_Sch_ttle
Not applicable
When I want to backup an normal windows-networkshare, I always have the following error-message for the server that I want to backup.

"Media servers cannot completely protect remote Windows-based servers or workstations unless the Backup Exec for Windows Servers Remote Agent is installed and running on each remote Windows-based server or workstation to be protected. Data loss can occur if the Backup Exec for Windows Servers Remote Agent is not running while backing up remote Windows-based computers. Refer to the documentation or online help for more information."

I don't want to use the RemoteAgent, because it is not installed on this server. I only want to use the normal backup across the networkshare.

My Question:
How can I disable the error-messages for this backup-resource?

I'm using BackupExec for Windows Servers 9.0 Rev. 4454.
2 REPLIES 2

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
As of v8, all connections to a ServerOS machine, by license, require a RemoteAgent installed and a RAWS Serial installed on the Media Server. You may somehow get connected to a share by working at it , but you would be in violation of the Veritas/Symantec Licensing Policy.

WorkstationOS machines don't require the media server to have a serial, but still need the RemoteAgent installed.

Asma_Tamboli
Level 6
HI,

You could perhaps backup these shares over the user defined selections.
http://support.veritas.com/docs/254193

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.