Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to configure BE2010 R3 using multiple jobs to tapelibrary

JosVerhallen
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hello,

I am having some trouble coming up with the right configuration for an enviroment we manage. 
We are using BE2010 R3 with SP2 and are trying to achieve the following: 

1 job for backing up our Cluster Data to disk, then duplicate to tape
1 job for backing up our Veeam backup data to tape (not the ideal situation but the customer requested use of Veeam)

So for our back-up to disk we use an HP MSA SAN Storage which contain the BE B2D folders and the Veeam Disk Storage
For our back-up to tape we use an HP MSL2024 Tape library with 24 slots.

If i want to back-up the Veeam Data to tape and Duplicate the BE B2D Data to tape how do i configure this? 
As far as i know if i configure the jobs to use the Tape Library as target it will not use the same tape for both jobs, but use 2 tapes. This is not what we want.

I have understood from Symantec Support that the recommended way of configuring this is to partition the library, however this is not acceptable, as we will lose the functionality of our tape library.

How do i go on and configure this enviroment? 

Wil BE2012 choose the same tape for both my back-up and my duplicate job, or will it target 2 tapes?

Kind regards,

Jos Verhallen

1 REPLY 1

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Start in this way: Decide OPP for the media set and configure 20 hours Append period. Do not assign any media manually. Let them be in SCRATCH set. Schedule backup to tape job to run first and configure as overwrite only. Schedule the duplicate to tape job to start after the completion of first job and configure it to Append (if you are not sure abt how much time first job takes or if you don't want to waste the time between first job finish time and second job start time use BEMCLI to chain your jobs). With these settings every day a new/recyclable tape will be used. i.e only one day data will be written to one tape. So it's important to decide proper OPP considering your retention req and number of media you have.

Wil BE2012 choose the same tape for both my back-up and my duplicate job

Any version of BE can be configured to use one media with two jobs. (kind of jobs doesn't matter. Only retention requirement matters)