cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create a reoccurring redirected restore job in BE 2012

Keith----
Level 3
Is it possible with Backup Exec 2012 Sp2 to create a reoccurring redirected restore job of the most recent full backup of a VM? My goal is to automate the restoring of a VM to a different Hyper-V host each time the VM is backed up.
4 REPLIES 4

Donald_Eady
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Unfortunately this is not possible. 

you can schedule a restore job but you are unable to schedule reoccuring restore jobs

lmosla
Level 6

Hello Keith,  

Because of the possible issue of the danger of overwriting data it is not a function of Backup Exec to create any kind of automated reocurring restores.  

Keith----
Level 3

Hello Imosla,

In BE 2012 you can create a reoccurring job that overwrites data.  Simply create a reoccurring "Backup to Disk and then Convert to Virtual Machine" job and select the option to "Overwrite the virtual machine if it already exists."

I understand the danger of overwriting data with an in-place restore.  But what danger exists with a redirected restore?  The feature I am looking for needs to provide an automated restore of a VM from a primary Hyper-v host to a secondary host following a full backup.

Donald_Eady
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Keith, 

You are correct n the P2V basically backs up a physical box and restores it to an esx host to be spun up in the event of a failure of the physical machine. Unfortunately Backup Exec is not able to do this Virtual to Virtual (V2V).