cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to delete bkf files from B2D folder

mlm01
Level 4

I have a question about deleting files.  I need to move backup files from our backup device to a removable disk for storage.  If I delete these files from the backup to disk folder in windows explorer, do I need to inventory the folder in backup exec to reflect the change?  I'm just not sure how to delete from the windows folder and keep it in synch with backup exec.

Thanks,

Maureen

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

How are you moving the files to removable storage and what do you mean by removable storage?

Reason for question is that Symantec do not recommend just copying BKF FIles (or IMG folders around) as you can introduce insonistencies that cause problems later on (for instance when it comes to restoring). You should always use duplicate jobs between storage locations not manuial file copies.

However to answer your question

The correct method to remove BKF files from BE is

1) Inside the BE Move the media from the current media set to retired media set

2) Delete the BKF files from the file system

3) Inside the BE console delete the BKF media from the retired media set.

In theory steps 2 and 3 are not critical on their order, deleting from file system first just ensures that no BE process can automatically pull them back into Imported Media before you can delete them from Backup Exec.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

First perform an erase operation on the media and then move those to retired media. Browse to original location and delete the bkf files. 

Regards...

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

How are you moving the files to removable storage and what do you mean by removable storage?

Reason for question is that Symantec do not recommend just copying BKF FIles (or IMG folders around) as you can introduce insonistencies that cause problems later on (for instance when it comes to restoring). You should always use duplicate jobs between storage locations not manuial file copies.

However to answer your question

The correct method to remove BKF files from BE is

1) Inside the BE Move the media from the current media set to retired media set

2) Delete the BKF files from the file system

3) Inside the BE console delete the BKF media from the retired media set.

In theory steps 2 and 3 are not critical on their order, deleting from file system first just ensures that no BE process can automatically pull them back into Imported Media before you can delete them from Backup Exec.

mlm01
Level 4

Thank you both for your responses, they are very helpful.

By removable storage, I mean a hard drive that will be moved off site.  We back up to a nas and I am moving the .bkf files from the nas to the hard drive that I will physically move to another location.

What you say about copying files around and using duplicate jobs makes sense, I will consider if we are able to do that.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Create a B2D folder on that hard drive. Create a duplicate job to duplicate existing backup sets and select the backup sets in your NAS. Select the destination device newly created B2D folder on the hard drive. 

Regards...