cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to encrypt past LTO5 tapes with BE2012?

DJ_Mo
Level 3

I have enabled encryption on BE2012 on the properties for the LTO5 autoloader, so this will encrypt all new jobs henceforth.  But how do I encrypt the older/previous LTO5 tapes via BE2012?

-Mo

5 REPLIES 5

teiva-boy
Level 6

Do a duplicate job from 1 tape to another.  Assuming you have two drives in your library...  

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I have enabled encryption on BE2012 on the properties for the LTO5 autoloader, so this will encrypt all new jobs henceforth.

Nope.  This will not encrypt the tapes created by your new jobs.  You have to create an encryption key and then use that key in the Network and Security section of your job properties.

DJ_Mo
Level 3

teiva-boy ... I do not have a second autoloader.

pkh...thanks for the head up.  But yes I did set an encryption key and checked the storage tab under encryption type/key to ensure it was all set correctly for all the necessary jobs.   BTW is there a way for me to encrypt the older tapes with a single autoloader?

teiva-boy
Level 6

Well you'll just have to enough storage space on disk connected to BackupExec, think of it as staging space.  It must be equal to an dlarger than your data backed up.

I don't recall if you have to duplicate to disk, then back to your new tape (2-step process).  Or if you can do tape to tape, and BackupExec is smart enough to using your staging space (Which you set as temp space in the BE main properties)

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you have only one tape drive in your autoloader, then to encrypt your older tapes, you would need to duplicate them to disk and then duplicate them with encryption to tape.  There is no way around this.  I would suggest that you only do this for tapes which are going to be retained for a long time.