cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get RALUS and BE 10d working with SLES 9.3 on x86_64

Kenneth_Jeanis
Not applicable
First off this is not a request for help but possible something that will help others.

It took a lot of work, digging through various topics and a little bit of guess work but I thought I would put this up. Again this is not an issue any more for me since I have it working but since I did have to dig through dozens of pages of post I thought I would consolidate it into one in case someone else has a similar problem.

First the enviroment. Backup exec 10d is running on a Windows XP SP2 machine.
The target machine is a Dell PE2850 running a x86_64 SLES 9.3 Linux OS. The file system is XFS. I have gotten both the legacy agent and RALUS to work. There is a speed issue with both but I believe that to be caused by the XFS file system. I intend to convert to ext3 even if it means clearing that partition.

First go through the Legacy Agent/RALUS setup answering all of the questions correctly. You can reboot the server at this point but all this will achieve is the ability to browse the Linux box from Backup exec, select what you want to backup and run successful Resource Credential test. One of the most common errors you will see at this point is

Final error: 0xe000846b - The resource could not be backed up because an error occurred while connecting to the Backup Exec for Windows Servers Remote Agent.
Make sure that the Remote Agent is installed on the target computer and is running.
Final error category: Resource Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-33899

Also if you run BERemote --log-console you can watch events from your Linux box. You can see where the agent accepts connections from the media server and such and watch where the point of failure is when you attempt to a backup.

The error you will most likely see is
ndmpdConfigGetHostInfo: uname error

Now here is where the second step comes in to play. If you type uname and hostname and you get the correct host name right? However, if you are getting the above error and everything is working correctly go the /etc/HOSTNAME the file name is in all caps. For what ever reason somewhere along the way in setup my file had the following name �linux site.linux�.
Edit the file and make sure you have the correct host name. For good measure I issue the following command as well.
Hostname

At this point reboot the server.

Now you can perform backups and restores on the above (NOT SUPPORTED BY TECH SUPPORT) configuration. The problem with the XFS file system is that you are only going to get 15 MB throughput. This is an increase of 3 MB over the legacy agent. My only advice there is not to use XFS, use either Reiser or ext3. As stated above I intend to move to ext3 sometime around the holidays when everyone is out of the office for job safety sakes.

For the guys in tech support, I know the above configuration is not supported but do the guy or team who is writing code for the next version of BE and send this to him. Eventually 64 bit Linux is going to be supported (someday) and this might save him and the QA team some time.
1 REPLY 1

Rucha_Abhyankar
Level 6
Hi Kenneth,

We apologize for the inconvenience caused, but since the configuration is not supported hence we cannot gurantee the functionality.

=================