cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get list of updates for agents and media server?

Dennis_S_
Level 4

Hi where do I go to get the list of what has been changed in updates that are pending for installation for backup exec 2012 media server and backup exec 2012 hyperv and windows server agents?

I have looked on google and searched this board and I cannot find.

Thanks

16 REPLIES 16

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

From the BackupExec Product Support Page at

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=landing&key=15047

in the right column, select "downloads"

Filter for v2010, then for "Patches"

You should now see all publicly available service for v2010

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

If your media server can get to the internet then use LiveUpdate on the media server and patch the server. Bear in mind that if you install a Servcoe Pack then run liveupdate again after it is installed, as the later hotfixes will be hidden until you have the Service Pack.

If your media server cannot get to the internet then go to

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&key=15047&channel=TECHNICAL_SOLUTION&basecat=DOWNLOADS

and change the version to 2012. Then each patch and install it manually

Once the media server is up to date, then use the push install wizard to check the status of the remote agents.

Dennis_S_
Level 4

Hi ok so this is for the media server

how about for the agents?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

If the README for the HotFix mentions any agents, then after applying to the media server, re-push the RAWS to any remote machines you have

if you are applying a Service Pack, it is always a good idea to re-push any Agents, "just 'cause" wink

Dennis_S_
Level 4

yeah I need documentation for updates to agents because the others on my team want to know what is being updated before pushing updates out even though it is symantec best practices to just blindly throw updates on there as they come out.  we are trying to minimize down time.

Manjunath_Rajan
Level 4
Certified

Look into this below link. I hope it will help you.

www.symantec.com/.../DOCUMENTATION/.../en.../readme_en.html

pkh
   VIP    Certified

When you are running LiveUpdate, you will see what updates will be download.  You can click on the updates and it will take you to the documentation for the update.

After running LiveUpdate, Go to Help ---> About and click on the Installed Updates button.  This will tell you the installed updates.  You can then use the hotfix numbers to look them up in the Symantec knowledge base.  This will let you know what the updates do.

From the above, you would be able to tell what the updates that would be included when you push the new agent to the remote servers.

If you colleagues are concern that push updates to the remote agent will modify or load some dll's which are not part of BE, they can rest easy.  Pushing out the remote agent will only update the remote agent itself.

Colin_Weaver

Hi Dennis - in the last line of my previous post I tell you how to c heck teh agenst but to repeat

1) make sure media server is fully patched

2) then use the push install of the agent to the remote servers and it will tell you whether any updates have not been applied.

I also found another way - Go to Backup and Restore tab, right click on a server and select details.

Then click properties in left sidebar - this will tell you if the remote server updates are a match for what is on the media server.

Dennis_S_
Level 4

This link doesn't work.

Dennis_S_
Level 4

Yeah they want to be sure that the agent won't cause problems backing up the server that the agent is pushed to.

I really should have put these two items into two separate posts because most people think I'm only talking about the media server.

pkh maybe you're saying that when I push the updates, there's something there that says what is in them.  I haven't noticed.  right now everything is up to date (although I'm having problems with backing up hyperv cluster every day now which makes really no sense whatsoever even after updating).

I'll have to look again when a new update is available I guess.

Colin_Weaver

As it happens I don't think you can tell which updates are missing from the agents, it will either say you are up to date or will say you aren't and depending on which screens you are in it might say you have a certain number of updates missing, but I don't think you will see a list anywhere

As such if you want this kind of info you will probably have to keep a record of what was installed on the media server on specific dates (using the bkupinst2012.htm log file) and then also keep a record of when you last push installed the remote agent to each server. 

Note Previous BE versions would be the same for the agent updates.

Dennis_S_
Level 4

I can understand what you are saying but none of the above directly give an answer to the question about the agents.  Should we call tech support?

The problem is, in this thread, most people keep mentioning looking at the update list after the agents/media server have been updated not before.  We need a way to see before we apply updates not afterwards.

I hope this is clear enough now.

Colin_Weaver

Problem is I am not sure there is a way to tell the agent patches directly from any part of Backup Exec itself, as such phoning tech support will get you similar answers. However don't let me stop you phoning if that is what you want to do.

There are some extra - somewhat manual options

1) Find the push install log file for each remote server and manually review it to see what was installed then compare with the list on the website to the list or what is installed on the media server

2) Get the list of hotfixes installed on the media server (or by using Live Update what would be abouth to be downloaded to the media server), then open each tech article for the hotfix from the Symantec website (http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECHnnnnnn where nnnnnn is the hotfix number). In each article you wil find the file versions for files changed on the remote agents (Possibly in attached spreadsheets). Then go and compare this list with what is on your remote servers

Note you don't actually download separate patches to remote agents (for Windows anyway) they always come from the media server and this is why we are telling you to patch the mdia server first. You will not find an obvious list purely for remote agents and are much better off relying on patching the media server and patching any remote agents from the media server if they report out of date.

Also note if you choose not to patch remote agents to match the media server and at some point in the future you do need to log a formal support case for help, one of the earliest things you will be asked is are all the agents up to date, if the answer is no, then only limited troubleshooting will be possible until they are updated.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Turn off Live Update, or opt BackupExec out of it and then folllow my instrucitons above. 

The list will be pointers to the Technote describing and containing a link to each HF.  You can download each patch after reading the TechNote

Dennis_S_
Level 4

On the last part of this, yes I know that and I explained to the team.  They are stubborn about that last part and as much as I re-explain, it doesn't go anywhere.  So I'm doing the best that I can.

I will have to go back in and check some of these things you mentioned and see what I can find.  I just remembered though that the media server is all up to date too so I'm not sure what all I can find at present time.

It would be nice if the documentation was a bit more straight forward and in one place and easy to find though.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Right now, the patch level of your media server and your remote servers are in sync.  If there are updates and you run LiveUpdate, you would be presented with a list of new hotfixes.  You can click on them and follow the links to their detailed description.  This will tell you what the hotfixes fix.  Take note of these changes.  After you have updated the media server with these hotfixes, you can let your colleagues know about the changes that these hotfixes do before pushing out the remote agent.