cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to install Backup Exec Agent for SQL?

Marcus_Gand
Level 3
Help! I can't seem to find any documentation on how to install the Agent for SQL. I've added the option OK, however, now I need to install the agent and can't find the install files anywhere.

I'm running BackupExec 10 (5520), Windows Server 2003 with Microsoft SQL 2005.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
8 REPLIES 8

Ken_Carson
Level 3
I am not 100% sure, but did you try going under the tools menu and tell it to install a remote agent? Before doing this make sure you can browse to the SQL server.

Also, they should be on the install disk in {root}\WINNT\INSTALL\MSDE

Marcus_Gand
Level 3
MSDE? That sounds like the install folder for MSDE, not the SQL Agent. And yes, when I go to install the remote agent I don't see SQL Agent in there anywhere.

Ken_Carson
Level 3
Sorry I had a brain fart on the location... What version of 2003 are you running?

I found these articles...

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/280204.htm

http://support.veritas.com/docs/276405

http://support.veritas.com/docs/276545

Hope it helps, but the 2005 SQL I have heard is a problem with the out of the box SQL agent.

Marcus_Gand
Level 3
Well, none of that helps if I don't know how to install it. I've installed the option on my BackupExec server. When I browse the network, it detects MSDE on the BackupExec Server and allows for an SQL backup of that, however, I want it(the agent) on a remote server, not the BackupExec server. I'm at a loss here, some install documentation would be really nice for what we paid for.

Marcus_Gand
Level 3
Ok, I maybe overlooking something obvious, however, can anyone shed some light on how to install the Agent for SQL on a server other that the BackupExec server? Where is it on the CD? Anyone?

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello Marcus,

You will need to Install the SQL Agent License on the Media Server and then Install the remote Agent on the SQL Server. You can select the local and the Remote Options together under Tools -> Serial numbers and Installation. And install the Remote agent and the licence at the same time.

You say the Remote SQL is not to be seen in the Installation.
Is the SQL in a different Domain?
Do you have a License for SQL Agent?

Hope that helps you.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Thanks.

Mark_Benson
Level 2
I think the confusion lies with the definition of what is an SQL Agent.

From what I can tell (and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong as I'm still struggling to get a remote 'SQL' agent to connect or be seen by the backup exec program), there isn't a specific SQL agent. It is simply a licence (Added to the backup exec program) enabling the SQL functionality of the Windows Remote Agent(s).

Marcus_Gand
Level 3
Looks like my problem was a permissions issue.

There is no real SQL Agent, as the Remote Agent has the feature built in.