cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to preserve a job and running another one ?

Steve_D0M3C3
Level 2

Hello to all,

I'm new user of Backup Exec, and I have a problem that occurs sometimes. My backup plan's defined with a complete on friday evening; this backup can take some days. Sometimes we don't check (for some issues) if there's enough bands avaliable on the library. So we have to put available bands when the backup job is still running. Do you know if we're forced to cancel the running job to perform an Inventory of the devices ?

I looked for information everywhere, but I have not found an answer, maybe the handling is very simple ... but for the moment it is beyond me.

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Twinkle
Level 4

How may drives you have in your Library? If you you have multiple drive if you job is running on one drive the other one can be used for inventory. Ideally you should make sure you have sufficeint tapes in your Library so that backup job completed and It would be good to schedule the inventory job before your backup job starts. So if you have one drive you need to cancel the Job to run Inventory.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Jaydeep_S
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

If you are adding new tapes to the library, they would only be recognized by Backup Exec after an Inventory is performed. So If there is a job running already, and your Tape Library has 2 Tape Drives, the Inventory can happen at the same time. Else, with only 1 tape drive, the Inventory would have to wait for the job to complete.

In this situation, everything should go well, as long as there are enough tapes available in the RL to complete the job. If all the tapes are full, then the job would have to be canceled before the newly inserted tapes could be inventoried and used.

Twinkle
Level 4

How may drives you have in your Library? If you you have multiple drive if you job is running on one drive the other one can be used for inventory. Ideally you should make sure you have sufficeint tapes in your Library so that backup job completed and It would be good to schedule the inventory job before your backup job starts. So if you have one drive you need to cancel the Job to run Inventory.

Steve_D0M3C3
Level 2

I have only one drive so I must cancel the running job...

Thank for yours responses.