cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to protect tape from overwrite during week?

NEX
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hi,

I am going to backup to tape like this

Full on Sat, and Incremental from Mon-Fri, I have two tape cardridges for full backup, it is FULL01 and FULL02, it will rotate between week (that make me keep at least 1 week recovery if one of them caused failure or lost).

My requirement is if the week that backup will be write to the FULL01, the FULL02 must not be able to overwrite and Append, on the other hand, if the week that backup will be write to the FULL02, the FULL01 must not be able to overwrite and Append.

Full backup will start on Sat at 06:00 p.m., backup time is 25 hours.

I created media set (named Full for Sat) with Overwrite Protection Period for 12 days and Append Period for 1 day (I want only overwrite for FULL backup) associated FULL01 and FULL02 to this media set.

But it seems not working properly, because once I associated FULL01 and FULL02 to the media set, it will show the same overwrite protection period and append period. Therefore, either I insert FULL01 or FULL02, I will do full backup to that tape.

Could someone help me or advise on this? Thanks.

Nex

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

To start things off, you need to leave the tapes in the Scratch Media set.  Once the job uses the tape, it will be moved to the targeted media set and inherit the OPP and AP of the media set.  If you associate it with the media set, it immediately inherits the OPP and AP of the media, thus it becomes write-protected.

OPP starts from the end of the last job that writes to the tape, so you need to be careful when you append to a tape.  See this document

http://www.veritas.com/docs/000032654

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

pkh
   VIP    Certified

To start things off, you need to leave the tapes in the Scratch Media set.  Once the job uses the tape, it will be moved to the targeted media set and inherit the OPP and AP of the media set.  If you associate it with the media set, it immediately inherits the OPP and AP of the media, thus it becomes write-protected.

OPP starts from the end of the last job that writes to the tape, so you need to be careful when you append to a tape.  See this document

http://www.veritas.com/docs/000032654

NEX
Level 3
Partner Accredited

So, I have to leave FULL01 in the Scratch set for the first Sat, and leave FULL02 in the Scratch set for second Sat, is this correct??? and I want Overwrite for FULL Backup every time (not append)

My Overwrite Protection Level option is Full - Protect allocated and mported media

My Media Overwrite options is Overwrite recyclable media contained in the targeted media set before overwriting scratch media set

Is this should be fine?

Thanks for help.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Yes to your first question. The other two settings are fine