cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to restore all my job definitions after a fresh install of Backup Exec V10d

Bill_Gist
Level 3

We had a major meltdown of our backup exec server. I'll need to format the disks, reinstall the operating system, and then reinstall Backup Exec V10d. After I get it going again I'll want to do a restore from tape and get at the files containing all my job definitions, and put them back in place.

Is there a knowledge base article that you can point me at that will help me here?

7 REPLIES 7

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Find the last restore of the drive that contained the BackupExec install folder
Restore the BEDB.BAK file from the \Data directory

Then run BEUTIL and select "Recover Database from a File"

Bill_Gist
Level 3
Hi Ken,

thank you so much for the response.

Another question I have about this... Will that BEUTIL idea still work in the following scenario?
I install version 11d, but the BEDB.BAK is from version 10d

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
I THINK so, but I've never tried.  Can't hurt to try, on a clean install, right?  Smiley Tongue

Bill_Gist
Level 3
Hi Ken,

Indeed, this will be a clean install.  I'll post another reply here, to let you know how it went.

Thank you.

Bill_Gist
Level 3
I succeeded in getting the BEDB.BAK.

Then I did a clean install of 11d, but when I did the "recover database..." operation, the services didn't start up again.

We decided we'd stay with a clean install of 11D on our production server.  And on a separate server, I've done a clean install of 10D, and I'd like to get the BEDB.BAK installed there so I can look at the jobs, etc, and use that as a reference as I put the jobs back into the production server.

On the reference serve
-- it has a different server name
-- it doesn't have the tape library hardware
-- it odesn't have the space for the B2D folders
but I figured that's all O.K. since I don't need to actually run any jobs from there.  All I need to do is look at
-- job selection lists
-- job scheduling
-- B2D folder size settings

I've succeeded in doing the recover database... operation, but the services don't come up.  This time I know it isn't an issue with a change in schema.  So perhaps there's a way forward here.

The message I'm getting when I try to start the services is this:
The Backup Exec Server Service did not start.  An internal error (1627652097) occurred in object -1.

If you have another idea here, I'd sure appreciate it.

Sincerely,
Bill

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
I think the differing server name may be causing the problems

Is it possible to create a new machine with the same name as the old server?

Other than that, can't think of why it would be failing

May be less time in the long run to just recreate your environment from scratch

Daniel_Cheung
Level 0

Hello,
I use the backup file methold is full back up files useing archive (reset archinv bit ),  But I restore the file all is 1Kb, and can't open the file, Please Help me .