cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to set-up the SAN Shared Option on Backup Exec 10D

James_Tallett
Not applicable
Help!!!

We've recently had a SAN EVA 4000 installed and we purchased the SAN Shared Option for Backup Exec 10D so the backup traffic would be directed over the Fibre Channel (FC) HBA's instead of the domain.

The SAN option has been installed and new remote agents pushed to the servers but the backup still routes through the network rather than using the FC route, how do I get it backing up through the farster FC route?

Any help / tips would be greatfully appreciated!!!

Thanks

James
1 REPLY 1

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
I think you may have misunderstood how the SSO works. What this does is to allow more than one BE media server to access a shared backup device.

If I understand you correctly, you want to back up the data on your SAN faster. You have (at least) 2 options:

Make each of your SAN-connected servers a media server. Each server then shares the backup device. You need multiple BE licenses for this.

Ensure your BE media server has access to the SAN. Get the Advanced Disk Based Backup Option. Ensure your media server can access filesystem snapshots. Use Off-Host backups. This means that your remote server takes a snapshot of the filesystem, which is then imported and backed by the BE media server.