cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to transwer BE database & config to a new media server?

dfosbenner
Level 4

I have a new server that will replace my existing BE 12.5 media server.  Both systems have BE 12.5 and all updates installed.  What I'd like to do is move the database and config from the old to the new server.  Specifically, I'd like the backup jobs and the history of media and jobs to be imported into the new server.

Incidentally, the servers have different names.

I've done some reading on BEMIG and BEUTILITY, but I don't have a clear picture on how to do this procedure.  Can someone help me out?

1 REPLY 1

dfosbenner
Level 4

There is a document from Symantec called "How to copy media server configuration to a file and apply the copied media server configuration", which located here: http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/274778.htm

It explains how this can be done, but in my case it simply would not work.  The BESERVER service would repeatedly crash on the source server, it was related to .NET 2.0 Runtime.  Troubleshooting this was proving to be real nasty, so I called Symantec support and they talked me through copying the data manually.  It wasn't too dofficult.  Here are the steps as I recall them:

This procedure assumes both source and destination servers are running the same version of Backup Exec, same patch levels (via BE LiveUpdate).  I did this using BE 12.5, but it should work with some of the earlier versions.

1. Stop all BE services on both the source and destination servers, including the SQL instance for BE.

2. On the source server, in the folder C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec, copy the Catalog and Data folders to a central location, eg a share folder, where they can be accessed from the destination server.

3. Open regedit on the source server, and go to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\Backup Exec\Server.  In the right window pane, right click on DataPartitionGUID, and click Modify.  Select the contents of the value data for this entry, and copy using right-click Copy, or Ctrl-C.

4. On the destination server, run regedit.  Go to  

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows - right click this key and Export it, which is your backup of this key.

5. Now go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\Backup Exec\Server.  In the right window pane, right click on DataPartitionGUID, and click Modify.  Select the contents of the value data for this entry, and paste over them, which will paste in the contents you copied from the source server.  Click OK and close regedit.

6. On the destination server, go to C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec and rename the Catalog and Data folders (eg Catalog.old and Data.old).

7. Create a new folder called Data.  Go to the Data folder you copied in Step 2, and copy only the file BEDB.BAK from the Data folder, pasting it into the new Data folder on the destination server.

8. Go to the Catalog folder you copied in Step 2, copy the folder, and paste the Catalog folder in C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec.

In summary, what we've done is copy the entire Catalog folder, and one file from the Data folder.  We've also copied one registry key entry.

Now start all BE services on the new server, including the SQL instance for BE.  You will likely find that the Backup Exec Device & Media Service takes a bit long to start on the destination server.  Once all the services start, open BE - you should see your jobs, media, devices, etc.

I'd recommend a reboot of the destination server at this point.

Well, I hope this info helps someone!