cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use barocodes?

stutronic
Level 2
Need some help with barcodes.

We have just upgraded from backing up using NT Backup to tapes to a Dell PE2950 with 2TB of disk space (for the disk based backup) with a Dell 124T LTO3 Autoloader (with barcode reader) and one 8 tape magazine.

Backups are now working fine and I have setup a backup procedure.

The 124T has a barcode reader and I have labelled all the tapes with barcodes and BE reads these barcodes fine. What I want to know (and I have searched for this answer) is how to I get BE to associate the barcode with a certain tape?

What I mean is I have a tape with barcode 0000001 how do I get BE to use this tape as Monday? So every monday will be written to the same tape?

Does that make sense?

1 REPLY 1

Norms
Level 3
Hello Stutronic,

I got what you mean.

You are having LTO tapes with barcode sticker on it, and this sticker referred as barcode is red by your SBE right? I guess you know to inventory the tapes and assign what tapes you are using and going to media and stuffs like that.

So i'll go to the main course.

All you need to do is to make a partition on your SBE. Then after having your sets of partitions you may insert each tape e.g. barcode 0000001 to partition 001....001 and so on.

Then when creating a job, like for example "Daily Monday", choose the partion where you put the corresponding barcoded tape and it will use said barcoded tape you assigned and choose on the scheduled date and time of your backup procedure.

Hope this helps