cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hyper V Agent & AOFO

michaels_mbs
Level 3

I have a simple question, if the "Hyper V" agent is installed on MS Hyper V servers, does the Backup Exec "AOFO" option need to be used?

I am asking because my company has just implimented BU Exec 2010, and we have been creating new Hyper V backup jobs and they have been failing with the following errors.

Error:

The storage device may no longer be accessible to the operating system. Review the event logs for mo...

V-79-57344-34030 - An invalid command was sent to the storage device.

The storage device may no longer be accessible to the operating system. Review the event logs for more information.

AOFO: Started for resource: "VRTSRV::\\ISPKLDK002\Hyper-V?Virtual?Machine\Appprod1". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).
The following volumes are dependent on resource: "D:" .
The snapshot provider used by VSS for volume D: - Microsoft Software Shadow Copy provider 1.0 (Version 1.0.0.7).
Storage device "IBM 0001" reported an error on a request to read data from media.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Regards

10 REPLIES 10

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

AOFO is not required for Win 2003 & 2008 servers.

The error that you are getting is something related to the hardware.

michaels_mbs
Level 3

First off, thank you for the FAST reply, it is appreciated.

All of our other jobs are running fine, ending in either "completed or successful" job results.

I cant find any errors relating to hardware in our event viewer either.

This is a new install of Backup Exec, 3 weeks ago we were using Yosemite for backups.

Thank you.

AmolB

michaels_mbs
Level 3

I read this today, and we have made the necessary changes concerning the "removable storage", "drivers", and "scsi" solutions recommended by Symantec.

So you do not believe this could be tied into an AOFO & Hyper V agent conflict?

AmolB

I dont think so its has to do anything with AOFO, to isolate the issue you may target the same

job to B2D folder.

michaels_mbs
Level 3

I wish I could but we do not have sufficent disk space (1.5TB) to accomodate this backup.

I guess I can try to split the job into several, and text it that way.

Again, thank you for the help thus far, you've been great.

michaels_mbs
Level 3

Here is the error I just received runnign the same Hyper V job last night. It is different fromt he original, and I turned off the "AOFO" option, and I still get an error concerning it. I am looking up symantecs error articles now. If you have any insight, that would be great.

Again, thanks in advanced.

Backup
BackupV-79-57344-65233 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "VRTSRV::\\ISPKLDK004\Hyper-V?Virtual?Machine\obidemopres". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).
Snapshot provider error (0xE000FED1): A failure occurred querying the Writer status.
Check the Windows Event Viewer for details.
Writer Name: Microsoft Hyper-V, Writer ID: {66841CD4-6DED-4F4B-8F17-FD23F8DDC3DE}, Last error: The VSS Writer failed, but the operation can be retried (0x800423f3), State: Waiting for backup complete notification (5).
V-79-57344-65233 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "VRTSRV::\\ISPKLDK004\Hyper-V?Virtual?Machine\Obidemo". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).
Snapshot provider error (0xE000FED1): A failure occurred querying the Writer status.
Check the Windows Event Viewer for details.
Writer Name: Microsoft Hyper-V, Writer ID: {66841CD4-6DED-4F4B-8F17-FD23F8DDC3DE}, Last error: The VSS Writer failed, but the operation can be retried (0x800423f3), State: Waiting for backup complete notification (5).

AmolB

michaels_mbs
Level 3

I am going to try that, thank you again, you've an enormous help!!!!

I'll let you know how it goes.

Sir_Fang_the_Gr
Level 3
Employee

If you get a snapshot error during a backup and thus a failed backup, you will almost always see an accompanying hardware error when the verify hits the same bad data on tape.  Notice the error is during a read operation which indicates it most likely happened during a verify:

Storage device "IBM 0001" reported an error on a request to read data from media.

Deal with your snapshot errors and this should address the hardware error.  Start by looking at your system event logs for known VSS issues.  Volume SnapShot(VSS) errors happen most often due to high disk I/O or low disk space.  Try a smaller backup job and run perfmon /report during the backups to monitor your disk I/O.