cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Testing backup sets

Vahan_Asatryan
Level 2

Hi,

I am using Symantec Backup Exec 2010 R2 and have configured backup jobs for Hyper-V Virtual Machines, Exchange Sever, Sharepoint Servers and etc.

Now I have configured a duplication jobs which duplicates most important backups to the removable usb drive and I am taking these backup sets offsite (test environment). So, I am wondering how could I test the backups at the alternate location, for example restore Virtual machines, full backups and differential backups, restore individual backups in Sharepoint server?

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Yes. If you are setting up another Media server in the environment then you will need the Licenses. But if this new setup is temporary then you can just install it in the Evaluation which will be 60 days evaluation period.

If you have got the required information then please mark the appropriate response as Solution.

Happy to Help....!!!

Thanks,

-Sush...

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

pkh
   VIP    Certified

To test your backups, do the restores that you mentioned until you are satisfied that you can recover your servers to a state which is usable

Vahan_Asatryan
Level 2

Thanks for the reply, but I wanted to understand if I must have a media server offsite to restore them there.

Actually, I want to make sure that I can recover the infrastructure somewhere else in case of the Disaster and check how long does it take.

Thanks again for quick response.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You definitely need a media server to restore your data.

I would strong suggest that you read the Restoring Data and the Disaster Preparation and recovery sections of the Admin Guide before proceeding further.

Sush---
Level 6

yes you will require to have a Media server (you can also build one media server in your test environment). then you cna attach the USB drive to this new media server.

Created B2D which will point to the folder on the USB . Then Inventory and Catalog the medias which will show the data for restore.

You will also have to setup another Hyper-V machine and then restore to this Hyper-V machine.

Thanks,

-Sush...

Vahan_Asatryan
Level 2

Thanks Sush for promt reply.

So I will also need to get a license for the media server right? because we are planning to test all the backups offsite once a month, to make sure that they are valid.

Sush---
Level 6

Yes. If you are setting up another Media server in the environment then you will need the Licenses. But if this new setup is temporary then you can just install it in the Evaluation which will be 60 days evaluation period.

If you have got the required information then please mark the appropriate response as Solution.

Happy to Help....!!!

Thanks,

-Sush...