cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hyper-V Agent Install

gopherhockey
Level 3

Ok, so we have our Backup Exec 12.5 installed and licensed.. but there is no option to push any kind of virtual agent to a host or virtual server.   I looked through the help and online and nothing actually specifically says how this is done.

Only remote options I'm given are the remote and open file agent.

Can someone please give me step by step on how to properly install the agents so we can move forward?

(one note, we are on a 32-bit backup system but all hosts are 64 bit.... maybe that is causing issues.  We have code for both)

11 REPLIES 11

Nick_Elmer
Level 6
Employee

The Remote Agent will need to be installed on the servers hosting Hyper-V. Then when you browse the server for backup, you should be able to backup your hosts.

From the Backup Exec UI, under the tools menu there is an option "Install Remote Agents..." Click that option and it will launch the install which will allow you to push out the Remote Agent to the remote servers.

Hope this helps.

Nick

gopherhockey
Level 3

Ok, so I understand that it is just the regular remote agent that is being deployed - not a special "virtual" enabling agent.

I did install the remote agent on one host and was able to see a share MSSCVMMLibrary with a directory VHDs under it.   The only thing in there were two Blank Disk - Large and Blank Disk - Small.    My actual virtual servers are visible if I browse the file structure, but there are no special options for backing them up.  

Nick_Elmer
Level 6
Employee
The special "Virtual" protection logic is in the Remote Agent. Did you install a license for the Microsoft Virtual Agent when you installed Backup Exec? If not, you can evaluate that option by rerunning the install on the Backup Exec Media server and selecting that option for install.

bowenb
Level 2

Do you have to have the "Special" Hyper-V agent to backup the Hyper-V servers?  I thought you could use the VSS Writer and just the Backup Exec Remote Agent and backup the Hyper-V servers?

penniwise
Level 2
If you'd like to backup the Hyper-V guests on a Hyper-V host and you have installed the Backup Exec MS Virtual Machine Agent option on the Backup Exec Media server you will see "Microsoft Hyper-V" in the Backup Exec GUI under the Host. You can then create a selection list and select some or all of your Hyper-V servers under the Host.
Message Edited by penniwise on 02-27-2009 07:10 PM

nsutterby
Level 3
But isn't it true that even after selecting the Hyper-V servers that you would like to back up using the GUI interface, certain restrictions will take effect?  For example, I have three virtual servers running on my parent OS, but one of them uses a raid disk array from the parent OS rather than just the virtual hard drive, that server has yet to let me back it up successfully.  I am currently trying to push the virtual agent out to that virtual server in hopes it will correct the problem.  Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

penniwise100
Level 3
I thought that there is only one "Remote Agent". That is, the Agent has in it's capacity to do any of the purchased options (Exchange GRT,MS HyperV, SQL, etc). However, one can only 'see' these options when they key code is entered in the media server. I will also say generally, the server application and thus the Agent is updated by Symantec FREQUENTLY. I find it very helpful to configure the media server to notify me of any new updates that are available. This way I can review them and install them on the media server. Then run the tool "RAWSBulkUpdate.exe" to install the updated agent on the servers in bulk. One other nice thing about the tool is you can see the number of 'updates' that particular agent is missing from the available latest version on the media server.

Anyway, I'm off topic..

I do not know how backing up a guest OS who is using a pass-thru disk on the host server would work I actually haven't tried it yet, I cannot help much with this I'm afraid. This is pretty interesting though, I think I might try it if I can get some free time though.

Wim_Toutenhoofd
Level 3
Partner Accredited
BE12.5 Admin Guide, page 1581, table T1: "Agent for Microsoft Virtual Servers" has to be installed on the "Microsoft Virtual Server". HOW???

Practice:
- (push)install the Remote Agent for Windows Systems (RAWS) to the Hyper-V server
    --> the Agent for Microsoft Virtual Servers is always included and no option for selection.
- Enter the license for MS Virtual Servers on the BE media server
   --> only this will enable the Hyper-V-options when browsing remote agents for selections

Please comment me if I'm wrong.

oskaremil
Level 4

So, when it comes i actually installing the components (I have the Trial version, no license keys) I can :

* Install the Hyper-V Agent on the media server
* Push the Remote Agent to the actual server running Hyper-V ?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi there,

Basically yes. Loading the agent license key unlocks the functionality to backup Hyper-V.

oskaremil
Level 4

If I have two Hyper-V servers, do I need to load two Hyper-V agent keys to the media server ?