Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hyper-V Backups / Duplicate Backup Job / Granular Restore

James_MacCallum
Level 4
Partner

Hi,

I take a backup of a Hyper-v server, to a B2D folder, each night and then duplicate the backup set to tape. I need to be able to use GRT to restore individual files from the backup set that's copied to tape. However, if I set the duplicate backup job to overwrite the tape, then I am unable to use GRT to restore files from it (the duplicated backup set does not appear as an option under resource view for the Hyper-V server when I come to do a restore). However, if I set the duplicate backup job to append the data to the tape, then the duplicated backup set is available under resource view for the Hyper-v server and I am able to restore individual files.

As an added complication, when I use overwrite for the duplicate backup job, it does put the backup set on the tape - I can see it under media view - it just does not let me restore from it using GRT under resource view.

I really need to be able to run the duplicate job with overwrite set and wondered if anyone could shed some light on this?

Thanks

James

3 REPLIES 3

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Well I dont think append and overwrite set in the backup job have something to do with GRt restore .

When you overwrite a tape it would simply erase the old data on the tape and only the new data which would be written on the tape can be restored.

James_MacCallum
Level 4
Partner

Hi,

It is definitely the case that when I use overwrite to duplicate the backup set to tape rather than append, I do not get the option to restore from the tape using GRT for the resource in question. Though not sure how I can demonstrate this.

James

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

IS this issue with just duplicate job ? what happens if you run a GRt backup job directly to tape and set to overwrite ?